What wattage headlight bulbs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wanting to upgrade the headlight/fog lights, but can't decide what wattage to go with. I'm going to go with a 9005 for the fogs, and probably go with these, can the housings and wiring handle 80/100w bulbs? . Hella Optilux Xenon White XB Light Bulbs H71070387 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

I have enough points to get both pairs of bulbs for free, so trying to find something at summit. Don't know if I should go with stock wattage or go with 80/100's.

Sent from my G870a on 38's

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
If those are the Hella blue looking ones I wouldn't
May appear bright but are not , lots better bulbs out there

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
My concern with headlights, with that much wattage, connectors could get too hot especially on high beam?
IDK what would happen with the reflector/housings, but even on low, you know it's going to be even more toasty inside!
Hot bulbs lead to shorter life, I know other members were running regular Hella bulbs, and they were lasting about a year as a daily driver.
I just run PIAA bulbs and am ok with the stock wattage. Still have original PIAA working from many years ago.

The lower mounted stock 42 watt fog bulbs are so weak. 9005 requires cutting the tab and are 65 watt, which is quite good. I used 9005 Silver stars, nice & white overall.

Upgrade Fog Light- other reference link: http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f202/fog-light-mod-65-watt-upgrade-02-04-a-58960/

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also have the PIAA bulbs and Im happy with them.

Im against the fog light mod. It puts so much light right at the Jeep your eyes cant adjust to see further. I have the 65watts in right now but I'm going to take them out and put the factory bulbs back in.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also have the PIAA bulbs and Im happy with them.

Im against the fog light mod. It puts so much light right at the Jeep your eyes cant adjust to see further. I have the 65watts in right now but I'm going to take them out and put the factory bulbs back in.

Hmm. Ship em to me for dirt cheap? :gr_grin:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Phillips Extreme have worked great for me for several years, been in there at least 5 years and still burning bright

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Phillips Extreme have worked great for me for several years, been in there at least 5 years and still burning bright
Might try those out, are you running the stock wattage? . The Piaa's cost more than I want to spend right now, I'd do a projector retrofit if I was going to start spending over $50.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Might try those out, are you running the stock wattage? . The Piaa's cost more than I want to spend right now, I'd do a projector retrofit if I was going to start spending over $50.

Stock but brighter

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Export model uses different front light fittings to the USA models...we use the H4 fitting.

The standard bulbs are 45W/55W which were pretty pathetic so at one stage I upgraded to 85W/100W bulbs which were legal at that time. Because of the larger amperage draw I fitted two relays directly behind each front light...one for High beam and one for Low beam...four relays in total.

These relays were energized by the wires that would normally power the filaments....I fitted a thick Red wire from the battery to supply power to the relay contacts via an inline fuse and increased the wire thickness of the grounds going to the bulbs.

It was a great improvement and as the Export models have a rotating switch on the dashboard to adjust the height of the beams I could make sure that I was not blinding anybody.

These 80W/100W bulbs became hard to source and word was that they had been banned so I removed my relays and wired the light up as before but put better quality Hella H4 55W/65W bulbs in. The fitting of the bulbs was originally such that the beam did not come out horizontally but at about a 30 degree angle so as to light up the sidewalk on the left side...mine is a RHD Jeep. I was able to melt the plastic light fitting so as to reduce this angle to about a 5 degree angle and now have lighting that I am happy with.

Latest posts

Members online