Headlight Replacements

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is another thread here going on headlights right now but i didn't want to further hijack....

I have seen the PIAA Extreme bulbs in a friends vehicle and talk about bright!! But the local Advance doesn't have in stock and they are telling me they won't be carrying them anymore, odd, but they suggested a Hella replacement.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...lla_6250321-P_2505_R|GRPLAMPAMS_660889835___#

Has anyone used these Hella replacement bulbs? Not bad price wise, and i would think they have to be better than stock.

Also planning on modifying a couple bulbs to replace my stock fogs for max output.

L

lil black liberty

There is another thread here going on headlights right now but i didn't want to further hijack....

I have seen the PIAA Extreme bulbs in a friends vehicle and talk about bright!! But the local Advance doesn't have in stock and they are telling me they won't be carrying them anymore, odd, but they suggested a Hella replacement.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...lla_6250321-P_2505_R|GRPLAMPAMS_660889835___#

Has anyone used these Hella replacement bulbs? Not bad price wise, and i would think they have to be better than stock.

Also planning on modifying a couple bulbs to replace my stock fogs for max output.

Remember what you see and what really is, is two different things.. Just because they look bright A: don't mean they are really bright, and B: Doesn't mean they are legal as well.. Stay away from BLUE LIGHTS... and if they say XENON on a High/Low they are lying because only a BIXENON produces Hi/Low beam together.. XENON only does LOW.. you put it on HIGH and it will burn out..

Want to add just looked at those lights STAY WAY WAY AWAY FROM THESE.. These are like those that you get on EBAY for $10.. It's a Scam.. sorry..

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, they are Hella bulbs though, and i have never had a problem with Hella products before.

Oh well will keep looking for the PIAA bulbs, nobody around here sells them though.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Piaa 9007 Extreme White's: Ask Ryan after seeing mine last night, how long it is going to be before he get some for his rig. I think he is going to post up a few photos from our dark road tour last night...hint.... hint...

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Piaa 9007 Extreme White's: Ask Ryan after seeing mine last night, how long it is going to be before he get some for his rig. I think he is going to post up a few photos from our dark road tour last night...hint.... hint...

I'm probably going to order a set of those online and check them out.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC

I have used Hellas bulbs in our KJ for 14 month.
They were excellent!
One did burn out prematurely(And NO, I didn't get any finger prints or oil, grease, etc on them...)
Received a replacement and installed them and have not any problems until another one burnt out.
(I think due to the fact that we drive with our head lamps switched full on whenever we go anywhere{Yes, we have DRL on our Jeep, but they do not illuminate the tail lights})

Then I installed them there crap Silver star junk...

Just that, JUNK, crap, call it what you will...
If you like those, you need to have you eye's checked and possibly glasses!

I then went for some aftermarket lighting which were really excellent and produced very good light out put...

Then I went out with Tim, aka LibertyTC in his Rig.
He has the PIAA bulbs...

Now that is light out put!

I'm jealous!

Jen and I will be buying those very shortly!

Here are some pic's...
OK, Tim has "Silver star fog light bulbs installed... For how long I don't know, 'cause when I up-grade to PIAA, I'm also up-grading t PIAA fog light bulbs!

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Ryan can you now post up photo #2 with the fogs on? I think I was standing covering a bit of left headlight in that first photo, that is why it is dark left side.
Headlights are Piaa 9007 Extreme White.
Fogs are the Silverstars ST 9005 (65watt Mod link below for 9005) and I often drive with fogs on and do not get flashed either way.
Fog Light Bulb mod from 43 watt stock to 65 watt http://www.jeepprojects.com/content.php?article.43
So by all means going to the PIAA in fogs 9005 would be the optimum illumination there.
And....Then we can do another photo set once we add a few more -100watt 5 inch to the push bar rail.....oh.can't wait..

Last edited:

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Think i will save up for some PIAA bulbs then!!

That's the foglight bulb mod i have been admiring for a while, i'm planning on doing that also. Around here it want maximum visibilty at night, tired of dodging Deer all the time but its inevitable thanks to the state idiots that put animal reserves and feeding areas along the busiest local highways.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
$45x2, $90/pair?
I would get a pair of aux lights if you all drive that much in pitch black and get a pair of philips or osrams for $20. At least you don't have much limitation with aux/offroad lights.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$45x2, $90/pair?
I would get a pair of aux lights if you all drive that much in pitch black and get a pair of philips or osrams for $20. At least you don't have much limitation with aux/offroad lights.

I have seen them for about $60-$70 a set online, maybe cheaper somewhere else?

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Ryan can you now post up photo #2 with the fogs on? I think I was standing covering a bit of left headlight in that first photo, that is why it is dark left side.
Headlights are Piaa 9007 Extreme White.
Fogs are the Silverstars ST 9005 (65watt Mod link below for 9005) and I often drive with fogs on and do not get flashed either way.
Fog Light Bulb mod from 43 watt stock to 65 watt http://www.jeepprojects.com/content.php?article.43
So by all means going to the PIAA in fogs 9005 would be the optimum illumination there.
And....Then we can do another photo set once we add a few more -100watt 5 inch to the push bar rail.....oh.can't wait..

As per your request Tim...

Last edited:

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
$45x2, $90/pair?

$90.00 a pair isn't that pricey in my books!
I've spent more on a bottle of fine wine or a 25 year old Scotch!
And both those only last one evening!

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Well said Ryan!
The Piaa's should last for years!
I have created a photo album for those that want to see some of my other light mods etc.
The two photos above as well as one more where we use the singular 100 watt spot to illuminate the sign in center of distant road are in the gallery.
Photos: Piaa bulbs with Fogs:
http://s779.photobucket.com/albums/yy75/LibertyTC/Jeep%20Liberty%202004/?action=view&current=PIAALowBeamsWithFOGMOD.jpg
and then add one 100 watt round :
http://s779.photobucket.com/albums/yy75/LibertyTC/Jeep%20Liberty%202004/?action=view&current=PIAALowBeamsWithFOGMOD.jpg#!oZZ46QQcurrentZZhttp%3A%2F%2Fs779.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fyy75%2FLibertyTC%2FJeep%2520Liberty%25202004%2F%3Faction%3Dview%26current%3DPiaa5.jpg%26

Last edited:

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
$45x2, $90/pair?

But .. ya get what you pay for Hyed!. I have tried the premium big company bulbs .. nighthawk, silverstar yada yada yada. At the end of the day I need to see. I think part of the problem with rating these bulbs is that there is a big difference when city/urban sprawl drivers rate them and people like me who live in the deep dark blackness of the wilderness rate them. There is no comparison to the light that the PIAA's throw out, anybody who say's otherwise simply could not have seen them side by side. Not to say that there are not better bulbs out there but they are not $20 a pair.

As far as the life cycle question, they have been in for 15 months so far, I'll post when they die, but mine have already lived through a front end collision that was serious enough to have deployed the airbags.

Last edited:

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
But .. ya get what you pay for Hyed!. I have tried the premium big company bulbs .. nighthawk, silverstar yada yada yada. At the end of the day I need to see. I think part of the problem with rating these bulbs is that there is a big difference when city/urban sprawl drivers rate them and people like me who live in the deep dark blackness of the wilderness rate them. There is no comparison to the light that the PIAA's through out, anybody who say's otherwise simply could not have seen them side by side. Not to say that there are not better bulbs out there but they are not $20 a pair.

As far as the life cycle question, they have been in for 15 months so far, I'll post when they die, but mine have already lived through a front end collision that was serious enough to deployed the airbags.

Well said.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
But .. ya get what you pay for Hyed!. I have tried the premium big company bulbs .. nighthawk, silverstar yada yada yada. At the end of the day I need to see. I think part of the problem with rating these bulbs is that there is a big difference when city/urban sprawl drivers rate them and people like me who live in the deep dark blackness of the wilderness rate them. There is no comparison to the light that the PIAA's throw out, anybody who say's otherwise simply could not have seen them side by side. Not to say that there are not better bulbs out there but they are not $20 a pair.

As far as the life cycle question, they have been in for 15 months so far, I'll post when they die, but mine have already lived through a front end collision that was serious enough to have deployed the airbags.

Luke, I agree with your point, for those driving in pitch black, they need all they can get. For me, honestly I can drive home at night without flicking the headlights on. Of course it is nice to have better lights, but anything slightly brighter/whiter than stocks would be enough. And like I said, if I did any night driving, I wouldn't rely on headlights/fogs alone, I would definitely have driving lights either on the roof or on the bumper.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Luke, I agree with your point, for those driving in pitch black, they need all they can get. For me, honestly I can drive home at night without flicking the headlights on. Of course it is nice to have better lights, but anything slightly brighter/whiter than stocks would be enough. And like I said, if I did any night driving, I wouldn't rely on headlights/fogs alone, I would definitely have driving lights either on the roof or on the bumper.

I hear ya Hyed .. that's why I put that proviso in there, I didn't think there would be a shortage of light in the Queens area ;)

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lil, I only see one picture above.