Renegade Lightbar LED upgrade:Do I need resitors/special relay?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GitEmSteveDave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I am looking at replacing the regular 9006 incandescent bulbs with 4 of these as I slowly redo the lights:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-Xenon-W...-Fog-Light-DRL-Lamp-Non-polarity/332226395338

But they carry a warning:

Since the LED bulbs have lower wattage than stock 55W halogen bulbs, therefore when installing on some newer cars, you might need to add load resistors or special wiring harness to ensure the proper function.

Since 4 @ 8.5W = 34W, would the existing factory switch/relay be able to turn them on?

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’d just get them if those are the ones you want, turn it on and if it doesn’t light up then go buy one or two of the resistor kits and wire it in

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
resistor kits are only used to ensure proper functioning of the flasher relay, when you swap to LED bulbs in the blinkers.

GitEmSteveDave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’d just get them if those are the ones you want, turn it on and if it doesn’t light up then go buy one or two of the resistor kits and wire it in

Aren't those for like map bulbs and dome lights? I'd be worried about mounting all those resistors anywhere inside the vehicle.

GitEmSteveDave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I mean, I don't see them in looking(but maybe I'm missing) some 2,000Lumen bulbs that maybe use half the power as the incandescent bulbs, and draw enough current to make the OEM relay click.