Headlight bulb life?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KJDevildog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all, just a quick curious question. I've got a 2006 sport that has gone through three headlight bulbs in the past 8-10 months. Two on the driver side and one on the passenger side. Is this normal? My 95 ZJ never went through bulbs that quickly.

I don't think water is getting into the fixtures to cause them to pop, vehicle just hit 100k and is in excellent shape.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a lot of bulb changes. The only thing that comes to mind is that if you handle them with your hands the natural oils in your hands will get on the bulbs and help them burn out faster. Use a clean cloth when handling them.

Dave

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
You have a problem of some kind for sure
I just removed my Sylvania's that I installed back in October 2004 , Jeep has 160,000 miles on it now, they're still good but just got a set of Phillips X-treme Power that I wanted to try

KJDevildog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to guess that it's the oils from the skin bit. I had forgot about that, and my wife was the one to change the bulbs while I was deployed so I doubt she avoided contact. Guess I will just replace them, be careful not to touch them, and monitor from there.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Standard bulbs(not the fancy ones) have a average life span of 400-500 hours,those fancy ones(silverstars and such) are brighter but at the expense of bulb life which usually drops to 250-350 hours.Now those #'s are just averages so some will last alot longer while some will last alot shorter then those #'s.

And yes touching the glass will severly shorten bulb life,why I always wear rubber gloves(new pair) when installing headlamps.

Jaber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My last car I used Sylvania, they only lasted about 12 months, 14 was the longest. Damn DRL's. In the same car, I bought fogs from them and they lasted only 4 months, I called and got free replacements :D

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
We drive with our headlights on all the time (Not just the Day time running lights) so the tail lights are also on.
Why, in this city the other drivers are really bad so every bit helps for them to see the vehicle in front of them.
We go through a headlamp bulb every four to six months. Usually the drivers side burns out first. When I replace
the burnt out one I also replace the passengers side bulb so both are new and put out the same amount of light.
Right now our Heep has those Phillips X-treme Power bulbs fitted. Not to bad light out put and they were a great
price. $9.95 for a pair so I cleaned out the stores stock!

staggerlee41

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My last car I used Sylvania, they only lasted about 12 months, 14 was the longest. Damn DRL's. In the same car, I bought fogs from them and they lasted only 4 months, I called and got free replacements :D

That's about how much life I got from my 02 KJ with Silverstars also. At least for me, the tradeoff of brighter illumination of the road is worth it. I've found them on special from time to time and typically stock up when that happens. I never thought to contact Sylvania about short life though! I will have to do that next time I'm changing bulbs. I should have a while left in the ones that came stock in my 11 KK :)

I had a few replacement tail light bulbs and one fog light bulb left from my 02 and before I pitched them, handed them in with my KJ, I checked Sylvania's website and it looks as though they are the the KK takes the same bulbs in as the KJ. Nice little bonus I suppose.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I must drive in the dark all of the time since the headlight bulbs lasted all of that time, the bulbs in the foglights are the Silverstars that came with the ARB when I bought it in 05 !!!

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I must drive in the dark all of the time since the headlight bulbs lasted all of that time, the bulbs in the foglights are the Silverstars that came with the ARB when I bought it in 05 !!!

You are "the midnight phantom".......no lights - black jeep - midnight.........:happy175:

Dave

KJDevildog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't drive in the dark that much, maybe 15 minutes in the morning a few times a week. Going to clean the bulb sockets and go from there.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
The problem I found with day time running lights is the fact that they run off of the high beam filament and tend to burn out the bulb faster than if you run the headlamps all the time!
Then when you go to use the high beams usually one bulb (the drivers side) is burnt out!

gtommec

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The problem I found with day time running lights is the fact that they run off of the high beam filament and tend to burn out the bulb faster than if you run the headlamps all the time!
Then when you go to use the high beams usually one bulb (the drivers side) is burnt out!

yeah but that only applies to you Canadian KJ owners, since the OP is in the US he doesn't have DRLs

fullmetalone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sort of off topic for this thread, but because so many are talking about headlights in here, i was wondering if anyone makes a good HID bulb and housing for the KJ. From what i've read you are just being a jack*** if you run the bulbs without the right housing as the light scatters and blinds oncoming traffic.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sort of off topic for this thread, but because so many are talking about headlights in here, i was wondering if anyone makes a good HID bulb and housing for the KJ. From what i've read you are just being a jack*** if you run the bulbs without the right housing as the light scatters and blinds oncoming traffic.
No one does unless you make one fit.

Latest posts

Members online