Has anyone replaced their evaporator?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AVR2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AC is losing refrigerant and it's been traced to a hole in the evap. Deep joy.

Has anybody pulled their dash to replace the evap? I've done it in my ZJ, and there's a quick'n'dirty way that means that in about an hour, you can get the dash pivoted away from the firewall far enough to access the HVAC box.

I was wondering if there's a similar shortcut for the KJ, or do you just have to follow the FSM procedure and take a dog's age getting the dash off?

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if there's a similar shortcut for the KJ, or do you just have to follow the FSM procedure and take a dog's age getting the dash off?

I don't think so. I've searched and searched for the same process. I only need to change my blend door actuator motor and cannot find any alternative than to remove the entire dash. Warm here now so I'm waiting til fall.

AVR2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Process of elimination. There's a leak, but the dye test indicates that it's not from any of the components in the engine bay.