Grease for Bushings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DJSKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took my Jeep to the Dealership to have 2 motor mounts and 1 transmission mount replaced, OUCH!:mad3:
They did grease many of the bushings with a White Grease too. The squeeking coming from the front end is gone. I forgot to ask what they used. Anyone have any suggestions?

DJ

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took my Jeep to the Dealership to have 2 motor mounts and 1 transmission mount replaced, OUCH!:mad3:
They did grease many of the bushings with a White Grease too. The squeeking coming from the front end is gone. I forgot to ask what they used. Anyone have any suggestions?

DJ

why replace the mounts? were they bad?

as stated never put petroleum based anything rubber bushings
and used soap and water not degreaser to clean them

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
One way for the Dealership to get him to come back and replace the bushings next, nice place there:Bye:

streetglideok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im always amazed at how many mechanics and techs dont understand, you dont use petro based grease on rubber or poly bushings. They have silicone grease you can use, and squirt into the bushings, but never regular grease! If you dont get it out, it will make the rubber break down and get spongy, making it useless.

DJSKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not positive what was used at the dealership, but I will find out. I know most lubricants don't react well with rubber. I thought I might be missing something. So silicone is the lubricant to use on bushings, got it.

DJ

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I just use silicone spray every oil change and never have an issue
Had one older guy who always would stop and want some of my "magic" spray every time his sway bar bushings would start to make noise

DJSKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lithium grease is what was used. I understand silcone is a better lubricant for this type of application, but are my bushings in danger or drying out due to the lithium grease?

DJ

Tempest

Reaction score
If it is white grease, wouldn't that be a lithium grease and not a rubber attacker?
The lithium is the thickener used to make the grease. The base oil will still be petroleum based.

I would take it back and have them put in the correct silicone grease.

DJSKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, after doing some research and reading replies it is clear that lithium is not good for rubber bushings. However, how bad is unclear. Taking it back to the dealership is like going back to a restuarant I got food poisioning at because I have a coupon. :think:
Now the question is what is best used to clean this crap off and then what to use as a lubricant. I know siiicone is good, but any specific products?

DJ

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
I use a mix of Simple green and Palmolive dish soap to clean rubber and polyurethane components. If the part is really grungy I'll wipe it down with Isopropyl alcohol first.
As far as lubricating rubber or polyurethane parts to ease installation and/or stop squeaking I only use Spray 303.

trichard310

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wash that grease off ASAP.Grease breaks down rubber bushing real fast.If you want to use something use a 100% silicone spray and nothing else.

I used 100% silicone spray and it made the squeaking worse(after cleaning). There must be something else that's better. Im sick of people looking at me funny everytime I leave the curb.

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used 100% silicone spray and it made the squeaking worse(after cleaning). There must be something else that's better. Im sick of people looking at me funny everytime I leave the curb.
You really should not use anything on rubber bushings.Just keep them clean with hot water and soap on a regular basis(every 1-2 weeks).

I went 7 years with no noises from my front swaybar bushings which I kept clean and dry(via pressure washer at carwash) when everyone else kept complaining of noisy swaybar bushings which they kept greasing every year but never cleaning.