Special Fuel Rail tool for 3.7L v6, 2002-2012

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dtennes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Fuel Rail for *all* V6 3.7L Jeep Libertys (and pretty much anything that ever used the 3.7 V6 Powertech engine https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_PowerTech_engine) requires a special tool to disconnect the main fuel line feeder hose that attaches at the rail.

According to the Jeep Repair Manual, that tool can be identified by searching for "Snap-On FIH 9055-1". Let me save you some work. What I found was this excellent thread out on a Nitro Forum...

https://www.nitroforumz.com/threads/how-to-remove-fuel-rail.43605/

...content therein copy/pasted here for ease...

Lester Bowen (credit where credit due)
17 posts · Joined 2018

***NOTE***

I went to buy one of these tools from Napa, and it turns out that 776-9081 is for FORD or GM. Right next to this was 776-9082... which is for CHRYSLER. Bought both just to be safe, Evercraft 776-9082 was the correct tool and the hose popped right off easy-peasy. Returned the 776-9081.

I ran into some some confusion while shopping. It turns out that if you try to search for 776-9082 on Napa, you are shown something totally different from what the tool actually looks like, but if you go into the store and head over to the tool wall, 766-9081 and 766-9082 are hanging next to each other. They look very similar, but the Chrysler tool has some larger cuffs. 776-9081 might have the correct size cuff, but the "GM and Ford" fitment statement threw me, and ultimately 766-9082 worked perfectly.

Also note that this tool is not able to pop the hose right at the rail, the rail tubing is too close to get the tool into the coupling. I left the rail-end alone and instead popped the other end of the hose which was easy to get at.

***END NOTE***

#15 · Jun 26, 2020
Under $10. at NAPA. Part #776-908 1 . Found it thanks to this forum that listed a snap-on number. It fits two sizes- 5/16 and 3/8 . 5/16 worked easily on my 4.0 Just fit it around the line and press it back into the fitting to release the clamping and pull out the fuel line,
You must be registered for see images attach
similar to a shark bite connector.

The specific Napa part number is BK-7769081, and it looks like a pretty commonly used tool because they have in in stock at my local Napa. Use the following link to find it...

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_7769081

Last edited:
Reactions: klc

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought ot was a metal clip that popped off rather easy? Like the injectors?

Anyway, I just lifted the fuel rail and swung it completely out of the way with the hose attached. Was only working on the passenger side head.

dtennes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The coupling is a pressure-snap contraption, and you definitely need that Evercraft 776-9082. Prying at it with screwdrivers will wreck the coupling. You close the correct tool cuff around the tubing, slide the cuff down the tube inside of the coupling collar, and the coupling pops right off.

Members online

No members online now.