Full body repaint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

abarkl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '02 Limited needs a full body repaint. It has too many nicks, scratches, and dings by the previous owner whom I purchased it from earlier this year.
I'd like to change it from the Limited Blue to White. I've never had a full car repainted and need recommendations and gotchas.
I'm in Phoenix and shouldn't have a problem finding a quality shop but if anyone has a recommendation I'd appreciate it.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
CHeck with Maaco in your area, I know they do same color svc for $199 not sure if they would change the color for same price. Also when changing the color there a lot of places that they would need to reach like inside doors or weird places, so I wouldn't recommend changing the color, but if you do end up finding a plac and a price, let us know.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes to change to another color you would need to have them paint in the door jambs, under the hood, firewall,rear tailgate etc etc it is a lot of work, have done it a couple of times to cars and it takes a long time just to get it ready to shoot. So look for a big $$$$$ amount if you are serious about changing colors.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
That makes me think.. insead of getting the car detailed, why not get it re-painted?

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah you'd be looking at a lot of money for a quality job getting a color changed. I'd either just leave it the color it is, or if you want white bad enough, sell it and buy a white one. \:D/

FoxChung

Reaction score
I'd five of my KJ panels repaint in black (same color) due to some scratches, and most panel beaters quoted me AUS$3000-4000. Of coz, I only paid the excess with insurance.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't do a Maaco job! I'd never do a cheap job on a vehicle unless it was a junker that I was going to sell to someone I hate. Cheap jobs are so cheap that a good high pressure wash can remove the paint. My first car had a cheap job thrown on it by the previous owner, and a few years later silver paint looked like primer that oxidized.

Now I have an auto body shop in the family. A lot of a quality job is in the prep work. Bad or no prep work, and you'll notice it later.

Abark, I couldn't tell you what it will cost, as it depends on the prep work that your KJ needs. I'd go get a quote from three shops. As a reference, I've had my family shop repaint the hood once, and the bumper later on my wife's previous car. They told me that they would have usually charged $300 each. When I sold the car later, the painted hood and bumper still looked new. That's what you want! Good luck and let us know what you do.

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maaco? Are you kidding me? All they do is tape off your trim pieces, headlamps, the basic exterior stuff, then spray a couple thick coats of paint on there over the course of an hour. So sanding, no primer, no wrap around overspray to form a smooth continuous jobe. So what do you get left with? rough edges of the paint with different colored door jambs. That paint will chip up from the edges in a matter of a year and it looks like crap to begin with. Very thick and layered on. You're going to get that at any of these paint shops - Earl Scheib, Maaco, etc. If you want it done right, get it done at a body shop where they will actually remove the panels and paint as if they were painting a brand new piece, not covering up the paint underneath. And it will cost you. If you can get a whole car at Maaco for $200, expect to pay closer to $2000 if you can get a deal.

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another dissatisfied Maaco customer. Got into an accident in my '90 Jetta, did most of the bodywork myself (Fender, Hood, Grille, radiator mount, etc) and brought it to Maaco to get it painted. They also told me that they'd remove a dent in the back, next to the drivers side rear tail light.

This was a few years ago, I it was around $300 at the time.. I'd opted for the one-better-than-basic paintjob which included an integrated clearcoat.

It took a week longer than they said it would take, and when I finally picked it up they'd painted it the wrong color... my particular color of blue was a 1-year only variety. The dent in the back although better, was still totally visible. Talked with the manager there, and he basically offered whatever discount I wanted, think his exact words were "Is there any price at which you'd be happy with this job" .... after consideration, I really wanted the right color, so I had it redone. They repainted it, but apparently were angry about doing so as there was overspray everywhere. I'd paid extra to have the inside of the hood painted inside, they didnt bother to respray that. The dent again, got better but you could still see it at a distance.

I think if I had masked everything myself and gotten the clearcoat on it (mine had INTEGRATED clearcoat, what a joke) it might have been better.

If you can overlook the overspray, it looked decent for about 9 months or so, then it looked dull, even after being washed/waxed. Oh, and while I can't prove anything, there was no change in my ashtray when I picked it up.... there was about $5 worth of quarters in there.

The only time I'd use them again would be if I were selling a car, and thought that I could make up the cost of getting it painted in the sale price.

A couple years ago, a neighbor backed into my 98 Civic, which was parked in the road. Basically smashed the front fender completely. They paid (out of pocket, no insurance) to have it fixed @ local auto body place, think it was something like $1200 for just the fender and spray. They feathered it in (or whatever the terminology is) and it looked like new. Lesson learned, quality comes at a price.

-Blu

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd always been told to buy the best you can afford...one time, and never have to buy it again...rather than going cheap, and replacing/repairing over and over...I've gone by this with everything I buy, and it seems to pay off....althought at the time of purchase it doesn't feel that way.

abarkl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thecause17 said:
I'd always been told to buy the best you can afford...one time, and never have to buy it again...rather than going cheap, and replacing/repairing over and over...I've gone by this with everything I buy, and it seems to pay off....althought at the time of purchase it doesn't feel that way.

I guess I shouldn't have purchased a Jeep Liberty because the factory paint needs to be re-worked over and over again!

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
abarkl said:
thecause17 said:

I guess I shouldn't have purchased a Jeep Liberty because the factory paint needs to be re-worked over and over again!

That's all new vehicles! Paint is applied very thin these days. [-X

abarkl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not hardly! My '03 Fords have been fine, and every other new vehicle I've had in the past 10 years didn't show wear and simple damage like my Liberty does.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds like the previous owner never took care of the paint. I could only assume because of that it is in the problematic stages that you see. I'm sure you took somewhat care of your vehicles in the past.

Try talking with the dealer folks? Sometimes you can get some good information on where they may take vehicles to get a good paint or repaint job. Those are the folks they go to and get the job done good then turn around to charge up the ying yang (stinking stealership).

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The paint will only look good if you take care of it. We have 4 jeeps and they all have great looking paint. Years ranging from 94-06.. O:)

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
The paint will only look good if you take care of it. We have 4 jeeps and they all have great looking paint. Years ranging from 94-06.. O:)

Same with all of ours...it's a matter of care... =D>

tgh117

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would say your are looking in the neighborhood of 3-5 thousand bucks to get that job taken care of. Not to mention probably a week or two in the shop. My dad has a body shop, but he will shun away a full body repaint 90 percent of the time because of the amount of work invovled with removing all the parts to do it. Most shops won't touch it because they don't get to make any money on it, because its all labor intensive. Good luck though, it should look nice when your done it get it taken care of.

glaurick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
abarkl said:
Not hardly! My '03 Fords have been fine, and every other new vehicle I've had in the past 10 years didn't show wear and simple damage like my Liberty does.
Realy? I had an 03 Taurus the paint on the hood and bumers would fall off or crack if you plucked it with your finger. Now on my Jeep the Paint is 3 years old and not a blemish, crack, dull spot or anything anywhere. But hey, maybe you'd be happy with an Escape.

abarkl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I sold the Escape for the Liberty, but only so I could tow 4-down.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess I was wrong with maaco, thanks for the comments, I thought they would do a good job, but you are right, how much could you expect from a $200 job?