Front LSD and Lockers? Possible?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rescu2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I'm really new to the 4X4 scene. I'm not mechanically challenged. I can tear down and repair an engine, but I've no experience or knowledge of differentials, lockers, etc.

With that being said, Here's my question:
Is it possible to put a LSD in the front of my KJ and turn my Part-time 4wd into full-time 4WD?

I realize that this would reduce my off-road capabilities so I have another question:
If I DO put an LSD up front, can I put ARB Air lockers front and back?

Here's my thoughts...
The rear of my KJ does NOT have a Limited Slip.
The front locks both wheels together in 4wd (right?) so that I can't use it on semi-wet/patchy roads.
The LSD in front would allow 4wd on dry/semi-dry pavement and when I go offroad I can kick in the ARB lockers for all four wheels being locked...

Will this work?

And I know you guys are going to ask WHY?
Well, I am often called out in bad weather, so I would like to have the full time 4wd for patchy conditions. But I also want great off-road capabilities. The best of both worlds. Can I have my cake and eat it too?
Thanks,
Rescu2000

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
LSD wont change 4PT to 4 FT
u need to change ur transfer case for it.

just shift out of 4PT when ur in dry conditions.

only thing why you'll need lockers for is basically extreme off roading.
not entirely sure if u can really add an lsd in the front.
only way you'll get 4FT is if you change your transfer case to selec-trac.

Rescu2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is that all I'd have to change out? Wouldn't I need to add some more components?

The reason I thought the LSD might work is I thought it might eliminate axle binding. BUT, I think I would just need a rear differential in the front for that. (Assuming that is even possible).

Rescu2000

Rescu2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok. Thanks for setting me straight on that guys.
has anyone done a select trac swap? I can get the Transfer Case from a junkyard for $500 or less. This would give me the Full Time 4WD I want. I can then add lockers for mud, which we have plenty of around here.
Thanks
Rescu2000

Troysterr

Reaction score
[Edited: I had switched Command-Trac and Selec-Trac.]

The Selec-Trac TC in the Liberty is weaker than the Command-Trac, according to a bunch of posts on the LOST website. Several Selec-Trac TCs have failed offroad, but no Command-Tracs have. That is apparently NOT the case in other Jeep vehicles. You could probably do a search on the LOST website to find more info.

In any case, if you're just looking for more traction and safety in mixed driving conditions, IMHO the best bang-for-the-buck is a set of Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos. They're absolutely amazing on slickrock, wet asphalt, snow, and ice. Not as good in mud as M/T tires, but good enough.

If you're in slippery or mixed conditions, it isn't going to hurt your driveline to shift into PT 4WD every now and then, whenever you feel nervous about the surface you're driving on. Actually helps keep the seals and stuff in your TC from drying out.

Rescu2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I already have Bridgestone Dueler A/T's (not sure if they are Revos). I'll look. I suppose I'll be better off sticking with the command track then.
Thanks,
I'll read up on my best Mud Traction options with my current setup.

Resuc2000