Front End Noise and Axle Binding

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adman

Reaction score
Hello, while driving on the freeway while headed home after an off-roading trip in my lifted 05 KJ a vibration was noticed. A few days later when I found time to troubleshoot the problem I noticed a grinding noise coming from the left front while driving at slow speeds. I replaced the left front wheel hub and bearing with a Timken hub assembly. The axle will spin easily before I tighten the three bolts holding the hub to the knuckle but once it’s tightened down I can no longer turn it by hand. Using a breaker bar on the axle nut I can rotate the entire assembly but it is difficult and a few times per rotation at regular intervals I can feel some resistance like it starts to catch on something then jumps forward at regular intervals, if that makes sense. I can get a video of this if it doesn’t make sense. Of note, during this trip I was unable to switch into 4 lo at several different times. The transfer case would grind and it would not switch but after driving forward then backwards for a few feet it would go into 4 lo correctly. After some research it seems like this is normal activity but it has never happened before. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure about your axle issue, possibly with the suspension at full droop the CV is binding? Shifting into 4lo should be done while stopped and in neutral. Somtimes taking your foot off the brake and letting it roll just a little bit is necessary.

kejobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right now my right cv will bind at full droop, has for over a year now. Or at full lock on the steering. Might change when I put good cv's and bearings in in a few weeks though, guess will find out then.