Front Drive Shaft Angle................

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Now you all are just nit picking
walk into any parts store and ask for a CV for the front of the Liberty and you'll get the whole shaft/CV etc. Everyone knows them by that name :shrug::happy175:

CMCLEAN

Reaction score
Bandit Steve, you could do the cheapskate Scotsmans way of raising your ride height. Loosen off the bolt that holds the clevis onto the bottom of the front shock and pull the shocker up a bit and the re-tighten the bolt. It probably would be a good idea to fit a spacer block to stop the shocker sliding back down an loosening off. Anyway, not really serious about this mod, but I'll have to check out some springs for myself, 17 3/4" between the wheel centre and wheel arch, but at 124,000 miles it's not too bad.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After reading the OP, I went out to take a peak under my Jeep.

Wow, I've got the same thing going on. Measurement from center of hub to fender flare is about 18.75". My 2004 Sport has 85k on it. Guess I start looking into a lift sooner than I had planned. Oh, well I guess that's what credit cards are for.

Your jeep was lowered from the factory so your 'half shafts' probably looked like that when the Jeep was brand new.. Mine did at least.. As does Marlons from what he said.

Banditsteve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am just imagining how many of you had a look under your Jeeps before you drove it this morning? :icon_lol: And sorry Tom, I wasn't having a go at you, I was just trying to expand my mind with the "americanisms" . It's quite a bit different from English when it comes to cars, even though a couple of people assume I am from Scotland for some reason???? We, the english, built Adrian's Wall (Google) to keep the scottish out but some of them managed to climb over it!! Hehe. Anyway, I assume I need some springs, as well as a few other people that didn't realise until now, but still struggling to find an OME supplier in the UK and don't want to get shafted with import tax and shipping etc so does anyone know if the CRD springs will give it a little extra lift over stock? And if I use the CRD springs will the standard shocks be ok with them or will I need the CRD shocks as well? I believe Ry 'n' Jen were thinking about a CRD spring job? Jump in Ry!! :smokin:

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Steve, I've got the OME790 (CRD springish springs). They fit like a glove. No mod to shock mounting plates, spring perches or isolators. They are a considerably heavier spring rate (500 (?) lbs) over the gasser (310lbs) and will certainly lift your KJ's chin up a bit.

Moab

Reaction score
On the other hand maybe just go for the lowrider effect.
:freak3::freak3::freak3::freak3::freak3::freak3:
You must be registered for see images attach

And I was worried about going too far the other way.....
Got to love it.

Last edited:

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your jeep was lowered from the factory so your 'half shafts' probably looked like that when the Jeep was brand new.. Mine did at least.. As does Marlons from what he said.

How do I know if it's the stock height? Because it's a sport? Or do you see something in the pic that I don't?

And if it is lowered from the factory, how did they lower it? and how do I raise it up to "normal?"

Damn, it seems like every answer I get just leads to another question:favorites68:

Last edited:

Moab

Reaction score
From everyone I've talked to they were about 18.5-19" from center of hub to bottom of front fender flare when new.

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From everyone I've talked to they were about 18.5-19" from center of hub to bottom of front fender flare when new.

I'm running about 18.5" now after 85k. No idea what it was new.

Again, does anyone know how it is lowered. Different springs/shocks than normal?

Moab

Reaction score
I'm running about 18.5" now after 85k. No idea what it was new.

Again, does anyone know how it is lowered. Different springs/shocks than normal?

If that's where you are now it sounds like you probably were at about 19+".
Are you having any problems up front?
If it ain't broke....
Handling OK?

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If that's where you are now it sounds like you probably were at about 19+".
Are you having any problems up front?
If it ain't broke....
Handling OK?

No issues other than dragging while off roading. Handles OK despite worn tires.

I guess my question(s) are this...

1. If the suspension is lowered from the factory (18.5" instead of 19.5") How is it lowered?

2. How do I know if it's a factory lowering, or worn out springs?

And maybe most importantly
3. If I drop $700+ on an OME 2" lift. Will the final height be 2" over what I have now(20.5"), or 2" over the "normal" height of a Liberty (21.5")

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No issues other than dragging while off roading. Handles OK despite worn tires.

I guess my question(s) are this...

1. If the suspension is lowered from the factory (18.5" instead of 19.5") How is it lowered?

2. How do I know if it's a factory lowering, or worn out springs?

And maybe most importantly
3. If I drop $700+ on an OME 2" lift. Will the final height be 2" over what I have now(20.5"), or 2" over the "normal" height of a Liberty (21.5")

1) From what I've read and seen, all the parts have been revised to keep the Jeep at the after lowered height. This was due to safety concerns after a single rollover on a 2002 2WD in a controversial type of test. As for how, I'm guessing they just lowered the spring stack by an inch or so.

2) With the mileage you are at, you are sagging at least 1" due to worn out springs.

3) As the final results do vary, I would look at the official "how high are you" thread http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39094

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
AFTER April 12, 2002 they lowered them by using shorter springs
AVERAGE height after that date is about 19-19.5 depending on options etc, seems to vary some as all vehicles do
If you do a lift it should be from the new height as you are replacing the springs
BUT you have to also remember that what is advertised is not always what that lift will actually give you. It maybe advertised as a 2.5 but you'll get 3 for example.

Latest posts

Members online