Front Drive Shaft Angle................

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Banditsteve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Just wondered what you guys think about this? I noticed a couple of weeks ago when I was cleaning my Jeep and I have just got round to taking some photos to show you. The front drive shafts sit at a bit of an angle! Is this normal? I know it is a bit awkward to tell from the photos but the left one seems to be at a lot more angle than the right one? (Left and right as sat in the Jeep) Don't want to add confusion by saying n/s and o/s as mine is a right hand drive remember. I appreciate the front springs are probably sagging according to most people here as they have about 70k miles on them but the front sits about 18 3/4" from wheel centre to wheel arch (flare) which I didn't think was too bad. I was more concerned about engine mountings dropped or something but all seems well with them so just wondered if anyone had any ideas or whether this is how they normally are? My Jeep is a 2002 2.4 petrol manual. Cheers Guys. Steve :smokin:

Attachments

• Left Front.jpg
    Left Front.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 74
  • Right Front.jpg
    Right Front.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Wow, it's sagged so much that the CV's are getting angled in the opposite way...LOL!

No worries about anything other than the springs, engine mounts etc, are probably good (unless it was wrecked)

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow not going to lie im kind of suprised that it has sagged so much in 70k miles with only the weight of the 2.4 gasser! Either way i would be looking for some OME springs as soon as possible. With that much sag i would replace the shocks all around as well

Banditsteve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess from all the wows etc that this isn't normal then!! Hehe. How come I am still sat at 18 3/4 inch then? Should the drive shafts be straight or even angled up a bit then? Even on standard springs? :smokin:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
First that is not a driveshaft
those are CVs
Next stock you should be about 19-19.5 inches at that measurement so it has sagged that much in 70,000 miles
It will continue till you're sitting at 15 which at that time it will be a street scraper :pp::happy175:
New springs and shocks all around is the only true remedy

Banditsteve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First that is not a driveshaft
those are CVs
Next stock you should be about 19-19.5 inches at that measurement so it has sagged that much in 70,000 miles
It will continue till you're sitting at 15 which at that time it will be a street scraper :pp::happy175:
New springs and shocks all around is the only true remedy

What do you call them over there then Tom? We call them drive shafts over here. The CV is the constant velocity joint that is sitting ok cos it cant do anything else. And the drive shaft slides into the cv joint surely? 1 drive shaft with a cv joint at either end? So has it only sagged 1" in 70k miles?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
What do you call them over there then Tom? We call them drive shafts over here. The CV is the constant velocity joint that is sitting ok cos it cant do anything else. And the drive shaft slides into the cv joint surely? 1 drive shaft with a cv joint at either end? So has it only sagged 1" in 70k miles?

They are a type of Driveshaft, but here we call the shaft running from the xfer case/****** a driveshaft.

Banditsteve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are a type of Driveshaft, but here we call the shaft running from the xfer case/****** a driveshaft.

Oh. We call that a prop shaft. What a difference a few thousand miles make eh? But having said that, we are only less than 30 miles from France and they have a totally different language. And they eat what we keep for pets. And they have weird toilet habits! Hehe. Thanx for the lesson Hoosier. I will file it with my fender, hood, trunk jargon etc. Cheers, Steve :smokin:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I sorta love my Jeep... even though it been driving like a HEEP.:poop:
OME is the way to go.. the stock suspension really does Blow!(whistle)
To return the ride and my pride...to where it is better than new....
I will be so happy once the lift is done........PHEW !!!\\:D/
Instead of going to the mall, and feeling kinda small...
You will see me on the trail, where I know it will not scrape and fail !!drive.gif
I really now Love My Jeep..and I often now go Beep Beep !:Bye:

Last edited:

jeeper4life

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I sorta love my Jeep... even though it been driving like a HEEP.:poop:
OME is the way to go.. the stock suspension really does Blow!(whistle)
To return the ride and my pride...to where it is better than new....
I will be so happy once the lift is done........PHEW !!!\\:D/
Instead of going to the mall, and felling kinda small...
You will see me on the trail, where I know it will not scrape and fail !!drive.gif
I really now Love My Jeep..and I often now go Beep Beep !:Bye:

Thats a nice little poem there..

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After reading the OP, I went out to take a peak under my Jeep.

You must be registered for see images

Wow, I've got the same thing going on. Measurement from center of hub to fender flare is about 18.75". My 2004 Sport has 85k on it. Guess I start looking into a lift sooner than I had planned. Oh, well I guess that's what credit cards are for.

boebr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We up here in Montana call those axle shafts, and the wobbley things inside the rubber boots we call constant velocity joints.