Front Differential Plate Removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kaleb.Speegle

Reaction score
Hi, does anyone here know how I can remove the plate off of the front differential of my 2002 Jeep Liberty. There is another plate over the diff. cover that apprehends me from removing the diff. cover, its right in the way. I cant remove the plate in front of the diff. because the bolt holding it up will hit the control arm. Any ideas how I can remove this plate without tearing the front end down?

Thanks.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gotta pull that front mount off which requires the drivers side LCA front cam bolt to come out so you can pry the LCA out enough to remove that bolt.Then it will require a alignment after.

You can loosen that bolt,cut the head off with a hack saw blade(notice I said blade as the whole hacksaw will not fit) which will take a long time as it's a high grade steel bolt then you can remove it without LCA removal.But then you have to buy another bolt but install it backwards.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^Sounds like a man who has been there done that.^^^
Well only to pull the front diff out when I swapped in the new one with 4.10's and DTT,then to pull out to sell and stupid me put that bolt in the same way:pp:,never needed to remove just the diff cover when installed in the KJ due to having a drain plug to change the gear oil.

Kaleb.Speegle

Reaction score
Appreciate it man. Never even thought about cutting it out. Whichi probably wont, I'll just remove the front cam bolt and pry the LCA to get it out.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Appreciate it man. Never even thought about cutting it out. Whichi probably wont, I'll just remove the front cam bolt and pry the LCA to get it out.

Why do you need to take the diff cover off? You can't do any work on the gears since there's so little room...

If you're wanting to change the gear oil there is a drain plug on the bottom. To do the job you just need a 3/8" ratchet extension for the fill plug, an 8mm allen wrench for the drain plug and fresh gear oil.

Bob

Kaleb.Speegle

Reaction score
A couple weeks ago I had to take a trip across the country. Went from Bama to Wyoming, and back. On the return trip, about 600 miles from home the front end started making a strange noise coming from the diff. I stopped and checked the it and it had less than half the amount of oil it should have, it had developed a small leak around the drain plug. So I filled it up and went home. I drained the gear oil out yesterday and it's got some fairly substantial metal flakes/ shavings in it. I just want to get in there to see how bad it is.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
A couple weeks ago I had to take a trip across the country. Went from Bama to Wyoming, and back. On the return trip, about 600 miles from home the front end started making a strange noise coming from the diff. I stopped and checked the it and it had less than half the amount of oil it should have, it had developed a small leak around the drain plug. So I filled it up and went home. I drained the gear oil out yesterday and it's got some fairly substantial metal flakes/ shavings in it. I just want to get in there to see how bad it is.

Best bet is to pull the whole diff out then and check it good