Front Diff

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So next week i will be embarking on changing both differential fluids. The back is easy i got that. What i want to know is how to do the front. I have an 02 limited with the tow package. How much will go into the front. I may do the transfer case as well that should be easy as long as both plugs come out.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
So next week i will be embarking on changing both differential fluids. The back is easy i got that. What i want to know is how to do the front. I have an 02 limited with the tow package. How much will go into the front. I may do the transfer case as well that should be easy as long as both plugs come out.

Front has a drain and fill plug. Drain plug is straight down. I fill mine like the rear diff, until it just shows at the fill spot. Probably about a quart and a third or so. Mines an 02 also with the tow package. :party52:

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the engine skid can i get at it without removing the skid. If i have to remove the skid how do i

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"If i have to remove the skid how do i"

Take the bolt thingies out.:happy175:

Bob

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know that but i cant find the bolts they are in hiding

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Two on the rear engine cross member under oilpan drain and the front two are recessed in a bit where the edge angles up. A 3" extension is plenty. All 16mm bolts I think. And you have to remove the skid to get to the diff.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
No engines skid on mine (yet). PO must have taken it off. A few bolts were still partially in the proper locations.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys theres no reason to take off the front cover just use the drain and fill.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the mopar engine skid i believe so

You must be registered for see images attach

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks guys theres no reason to take off the front cover just use the drain and fill.

Yep just a drain plug and fill plug. One of them is a rather large allen key and the other uses just a 3/8" square like on a 3/8" drive wrench or extension.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So got the front skid off think it was the first time its been off in a long while every thing had oil mud rocks build up going to do a good cleaning tomorrow. Started eye balling the front diff found the drain on the very bottome right?? But where is the fill i looked but im not on level ground so i couldnt fit under there too good. Seems like a tight fit regardless to be filling there will i need one of those pump filler things???

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So got the front skid off think it was the first time its been off in a long while every thing had oil mud rocks build up going to do a good cleaning tomorrow. Started eye balling the front diff found the drain on the very bottome right?? But where is the fill i looked but im not on level ground so i couldnt fit under there too good. Seems like a tight fit regardless to be filling there will i need one of those pump filler things???

The fill plug is the 3/8" square plug Hoosier mentioned above. It is about halfway up the diff on the passenger/right side. I find it easiest to get a long, clear plastic tube connected to a quart bottle of gear oil and run it down through the passenger side wheel well to the diff. Too hard to try to squeeze the bottle right next to the diff.

Bob

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Years ago I came into possession of an old power brake bleeder canister. It was a poor design that didn't have a rubber bladder inside, so if you let it run low on fluid you'd end up "un-bleeding" the brake system by pumping it full of air. That same tank, rated for 60psi of air pressure sure makes a kick-ass lube dispenser! Put a quart of your spec oil in, pressurize, and the converted air blow-gun will squirt that lube into any gear box, right down to the last drop.

Bob

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys i will get a better look tomorrow on level ground there is more space. But now i atlease have an idea where to be looking. Thanks alot guys i really dont know where i would be without this forum probably down alot of money and still be unsatisfied.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went out to look i missed it cause i was looking from behind it found it right on the passenger side from the front looks good thanks again guys

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Years ago I came into possession of an old power brake bleeder canister. It was a poor design that didn't have a rubber bladder inside, so if you let it run low on fluid you'd end up "un-bleeding" the brake system by pumping it full of air. That same tank, rated for 60psi of air pressure sure makes a kick-ass lube dispenser! Put a quart of your spec oil in, pressurize, and the converted air blow-gun will squirt that lube into any gear box, right down to the last drop.

Bob

I want one of those!

I replaced the bearings and seals not long ago on my rear axle and it took more time and energy to fill the diff with the 85W-140 than it did to R&R the bearings and seals. The cheap pump for gallon jugs you can buy at the auto parts stores only works for about half the job. Would love to find something like what you have to do the job...

Bob