Front diff gasket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ephantmon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's about that time to service the front and rear diffs on my 2004. I had them done at the stealership two years ago at a cost of $85 each. I read the "How to" and decided to do it myself. Not really reading closely, I ordered new gaskets for the front AND rear diffs, not just the rear. So now I have two questions:

1. How much extra work is it to change the gasket on the front diff, instead of just doing a drain-and-fill service?

2. If it's lots of extra work/super tricky based on location of bolts and whatnot, anyone want to buy a new lubelocker front diff gasket?

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
You don't need a gasket for the front diff. To change the fluid, first take out the fill plug, (3/8 drive ratchet extension fits). That is to make sure it will come out so you don't drain it and then can't get the fill plug out. (just a precaution). Then drain it and refil. If you got skids you will need to take it off to see/get at the drain plug. Not hard to do.

Dave

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
How much was it?
And no don't need it and you would have to almost pull the front diff to use it.
If they don't take it back let me know, if its reasonable I may take it for my extra one here

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The biggest problem you may encounter with changing the fluid in your front diff will be getting the engine skidplate off. And I agree that you don't really need the gaskets. I use a bead of gasket maker silicone on the cover after a good cleaning, let it setup and don't tighten the bolts too tight and squish all the silicone out.

My dealership typically would pump the diff fluids out without ever removing the covers. I suppose it is okay to do so unless the fluid in the diff was water contaminated. Then you need to open the cover & wipe it out.