Front Bump Stop Secure Enough?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fierdon

Reaction score
I just got my KJ Renegade a couple weeks ago and noticed the front right bump stop was gone and the left one tore apart when I checked it, so I ordered new ones.

I just cleaned out the old rubber and grease as best I could, out some WD40 Silicone Lubricant on the bump stop and used a short metal pipe to wedge it in place. My question is, how secure is it supposed to look? I never heard a pop noise like it was in and I can pull it a bit and it won't pop out, but I can't tell if it's in good enough. Should I be able to just pull it out by hand with little effort? I don't want to risk driving down the road and it coming out and me being out $15.

rjkj2005

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No you should not be able to pull it out by hand. It took a 2x4 wedged up against the tire as leverage to get mine in.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

wlfpck

Reaction score
Mine was loose. I was able to install both sides without having to struggle or get a 2x4.

One side fell out... the other side did not...

I ordered another one... but no idea how to get it to stay. I think I may spray it down with plastidip and while the plastidip is still wet, install the bumpstop. That way it kind of just gets "glued" in.

Fierdon

Reaction score
I'm still waiting on my second one. But the one I put in, I tugged at it a bit and it popped out, but the back two notches also tore. So now I have to order yet another one. I know what the bump stops are for, but are they necessary for basic driving? Are they merely there for extreme cases of articulation or a severe road hazard?

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put a little silicone adhesive on there after cleaning everything up, then reinstall. Maybe just a dab on each tooth. It'll remain flexible so as not to crack and Fall out later. Just don't overdo it or they'll be tough to remove later if needed.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm still waiting on my second one. But the one I put in, I tugged at it a bit and it popped out, but the back two notches also tore. So now I have to order yet another one. I know what the bump stops are for, but are they necessary for basic driving? Are they merely there for extreme cases of articulation or a severe road hazard?

Even if you have new suspension you need them
I'm sure yours is sagged so you really need them. Most likely thats what tore them up/out in the first place

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Mine was loose. I was able to install both sides without having to struggle or get a 2x4.

One side fell out... the other side did not...

I ordered another one... but no idea how to get it to stay. I think I may spray it down with plastidip and while the plastidip is still wet, install the bumpstop. That way it kind of just gets "glued" in.

If installed correctly you do not have to " glue " them in

Fierdon

Reaction score
I'm gonna get some good cleaner and clean out the hole it goes in. Maybe it has a small layer of rubber or grease keeping it from being completely secure. I really don't want to use any sort of adhesive if it doesn't require it.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm gonna get some good cleaner and clean out the hole it goes in. Maybe it has a small layer of rubber or grease keeping it from being completely secure. I really don't want to use any sort of adhesive if it doesn't require it.

Little bit of lube, start the front in and then pry the rear part up in, shovel handle, 2x4 etc , will pop it right in
Never seen one with any amount of rubber or grease up in there. We've installed more than 50 sets here .

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what brand bumps are you using? maybe they're not manufactured correctly. I needed a decent amount of force to get the teraflex one's in.

Fierdon

Reaction score
Forgot to update this. Got both my bump stops in and cleaned out the hole they go in cleaned out real good with some grease cleaner. Put some silicon lube on the notches and jacked the Jeep up and with a 2x4, popped them in with a nice sounding thunk, which the last one didn't make. I've driven it a bit since I've installed them and they're still sitting in fine. Thanks everyone.

Fierdon

Reaction score
Also, how much space should be between the bump stop and the suspension? I've only got about 1.5 inches of gap. Doesn't seem like nearly enough, yet after my drive it doesn't seem like they even hit.

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Measure from bottom of fender flair to middle of the wheel. Should be 19" if stock

Fierdon

Reaction score
It's about 18". But I'm sure the suspension has sagged a bit since it was new.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure I can safely say for everyone here. Put on some ome springs and new shocks. You'll thank us. later

Fierdon

Reaction score
I'm sure I can safely say for everyone here. Put on some ome springs and new shocks. You'll thank us. later

I'd like to do a minimal lift someday, maybe after the tires need replacing.

Just an inch :happy175:
They all do, I've seen them almost two inches lower than new stock height

My main concern was I wasn't sure how much gap is supposed to be between the bump stop and the suspension. There's barely maybe 1.5 inches between the suspension and the bump stop.