front axle leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rizob

Reaction score
I was under my 2003 KJ and noticed it is wet around the driveshaft where it goes into the front differential coming from the transfer case. I only have 39,000 miles so wasn't expecting to see that yet. Is this a common problem with 2003s? How hard would it be to fix? The axle fluid has never been changed so I need to do that in the next few weeks.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I was under my 2003 KJ and noticed it is wet around the driveshaft where it goes into the front differential coming from the transfer case. I only have 39,000 miles so wasn't expecting to see that yet. Is this a common problem with 2003s? How hard would it be to fix? The axle fluid has never been changed so I need to do that in the next few weeks.

Are you sure its coming from a seal and not grease from the CV there. Boot goes bad on them and then they will sling grease everywhere

rizob

Reaction score
Tom, I may sound stupid with this response because I don't know much about axles but aren't the CV joints at the end of the drive shaft over by the wheels? This leak is at the back of the of the differential, i'm thinking pinion seal. where it comes out and goes to the transfer case. I don't remember seeing any kind of boot back there.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Tom, I may sound stupid with this response because I don't know much about axles but aren't the CV joints at the end of the drive shaft over by the wheels? This leak is at the back of the of the differential, i'm thinking pinion seal. where it comes out and goes to the transfer case. I don't remember seeing any kind of boot back there.

No you have a CV on either end of the front driveshaft as well
If you look under towards the rear part of the driveshaft there should be a rubber boot, if not then that could very well be your problem
Also is it oil or grease?

Not being stupid at all, most are here to learn what they need to repair/ replace or modify their Libertys!

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it truly a leak with drops/dripping visible? Or just a seep with traces of moisture picking up dust? Also, isn't that the area where oil filter change mess coats everything?

Bob

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine has had more of a 'dampness' there on the front diff end of the driveshaft - it's never actually dripped so I don't worry about it.

If there is actual dripping - you can see drops on the ground when you park overnight - then the pinion seal may be leaking. Not a terribly difficult repair.

Bob

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can the same happen to the boot on the transfer case end ? was under there today and noticed lots of grease and the the boot of the drive shaft into the transfer case felt pretty bad. Need a flash light to fully confirm

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can the same happen to the boot on the transfer case end ? was under there today and noticed lots of grease and the the boot of the drive shaft into the transfer case felt pretty bad. Need a flash light to fully confirm

The grease you see is most likely from a torn boot and all the grease has been slung around.

You can remove the front drive shaft to replace the rear CV.

Jeep Front Driveshaft CV Joint

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pinion seal replacement (when the diff uses a crush sleeve) is a popular debate here and elsewhere.

Probably a good time to consider the miles you have on the front diff and what other seals and bearings are worn out. Ours needed axle-end bearings and seals, plus an intermediate shaft at ~170,000km. The pinion bearings/seal and carrier bearings were still ok.

On the other hand, you may just want to check and top up the diff oil a bit more often.