Front Air Dam Removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AZKKPilotC182T

Reaction score
One of the things I noticed after bying the KK was the front air dam is/will be major problem off road.

Has anyone removed it yet?

I tried to but was afraid of mesing up the bumper cover, the dealer had no advice. After my trip this weekend offroad I caught it pretty good once and niked it up but it didn't rip off, however it probably will in the future if not removed.

Dealer says new air dam is $60, but the plastic revets that hold it on ar $5 each, and I think their are 6, that puts the whole deal at $90. Not too bad, but I would rathar just remove it before it gets ripped off...

Dan

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used a sawzall on my KJ. Post a picture of the front and side. I'll see if I can tell you where to cut.

Before

You must be registered for see images attach

After

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used a sawzall on my KJ. Post a picture of the front and side. I'll see if I can tell you where to cut.

Before

After

He has a KK not anywhere close to a KJ's front bumber,and the KK's front air damn is held on with plastic rivits.

AZKKPilotC182T

Reaction score

Before

After

Thanks for the reply, but I am hoping to remove it without cutting anything.
There are three white fasteners that come off by twisting, but there are also plastic rivets, just wondering if anyone else has taken the plunge and taken the rivets our and removed it without messing anything else up.

Thanks,

Dan

AZKKPilotC182T

Reaction score
Four Wheeler magazine removed the air dam for their review. Not sure if they cut it or drilled out the rivets. The only pictures that I can find show the KK at an angle and not a head on shot. http://www.fourwheeler.com/roadtests/129_0711_2008_jeep_liberty_review/index.html

"easliy removable", yea it looks that way but I just havn't figured it out. I am afraid to yank it off :cool: I even had the parts guys at the dealer show me the diagram, didn't help.

Dan

Boblemoche

Reaction score
You dont need to cut anything to remove the air dam. Just remove the 3 white plugs then pull on it. there are little clips that keep it in place even with the white plug removed so you need to pull pretty hard. I have removed mine without cutting any rivets. and btw you can buy rivets at auto parts shop in pack of 10 for 5$. Dont ever buy rivets at the stealership

AZKKPilotC182T

Reaction score
You dont need to cut anything to remove the air dam. Just remove the 3 white plugs then pull on it. there are little clips that keep it in place even with the white plug removed so you need to pull pretty hard. I have removed mine without cutting any rivets. and btw you can buy rivets at auto parts shop in pack of 10 for 5$. Dont ever buy rivets at the stealership

Boble-

Thanks for the help, I just want to be clear before I rip out the rivets.

Was the front facia damaged at all when you did this?

Have you been able to put it back on after removing it? (not sure if I ever would but I am curious)

Thanks,

Dan

Boblemoche

Reaction score
No damage at all and I did put it back at least 2 times but now i wont because it really is useless to have it there imho . You can remove it before you go on a trail and put it back after. It really takes 2 min and no tools needed. To remove the rivets turn them a 1/4 turn and pull to the bottom they get out really easy then pull on the plastic to the front to unclip it. if you want i can post pics of mine tomorrow

AZKKPilotC182T

Reaction score
No damage at all and I did put it back at least 2 times but now i wont because it really is useless to have it there imho . You can remove it before you go on a trail and put it back after. It really takes 2 min and no tools needed. To remove the rivets turn them a 1/4 turn and pull to the bottom they get out really easy then pull on the plastic to the front to unclip it. if you want i can post pics of mine tomorrow

Pictures would be great!

Are you saying I need to remove the revits first? or just remove the three white things and then rip off the air dam.

thanks for the help.

(yes I think it is useless too!)

Dan

Boblemoche

Reaction score
Dont remove any rivets dont cut anything just remove the 3 white plugs and pull

AZKKPilotC182T

Reaction score
cool, thanks! Pictures are great.

I haven't quite got used seeing those a-arms hanging down yeat :D, not quite like the old XJ...

I assume by your pictures you pulled straight out, away frmo the bumper?

Thanks again, Dan

Boblemoche

Reaction score
Yep pull away from the bumper and put some strength into it there are little clips that keep it there even with the plugs removed

Gimme Liberty

Reaction score
Great pics!

Looking at your lower cooler (extra towing cooler?) I can see why people are putting in some sort of mesh screen to protect it.

Boblemoche

Reaction score
Looking at your lower cooler (extra towing cooler?)

its the power steering cooler. there is also a ****** cooler somewhere else because I have the tow package

asuwins

Reaction score
One of the things I noticed after bying the KK was the front air dam is/will be major problem off road.

Has anyone removed it yet?

I tried to but was afraid of mesing up the bumper cover, the dealer had no advice. After my trip this weekend offroad I caught it pretty good once and niked it up but it didn't rip off, however it probably will in the future if not removed.

Dealer says new air dam is $60, but the plastic revets that hold it on ar $5 each, and I think their are 6, that puts the whole deal at $90. Not too bad, but I would rathar just remove it before it gets ripped off...

Dan

I talked to my dealer about this and here is how to remove it. Remove the three white clips. Then using a tool that looks like a screew driver but has a "V" shape end, you slide and work this in between the black part of the rivot that sticks out and the black body that holds it together. I'm told you can pull these rivots out by working it out with the tool, then if you want to replace it, you can just push the rivots back in. I have not tried this however, I'm told these are the same rivots and they look like it that hold the fender skirts on as well. I think I also saw this posted somewhere else on this website or lost jeep website. I don't remember which.