Front drive shaft removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

marky38

Reaction score
Hi there...2007 jeep Liberty ....after hearing a rattling noise starting at about 35 mph for the last week ..and after reading the threads ECT I determined it was the front drive shaft..well it sounded really bad today..I attempted to remove it myself in this 20 degrees weather ..shops wanted 60 to 75 bucks to remove it... anyway I got all the bolts removed and the back part loose from the transfer case but cannot get the front to budge...I rapped on it with a hammer and nothing budges...is this sorta normal?..I'm done messing with it but want to know if I'm doing something wrong or is that side of the drive shaft stubborn..it's got me nerved up... thanks!

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you mean the bolts are tight or the shaft is stuck on the spigot?

marky38

Reaction score
All bolts removed..I got the rear loose but the front won't release from the flange.. tapped with a hammer..tried inserting a screw driver to break it apart and it's stuck in there

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try putting a piece of 2x4 on a solid part of the driveshaft head and really whallop it with the hammer. That’s how I was able to get rusted-on wheels off the hub after removing all the lug nuts, but not deform the wheel.

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As Ifhoward says, it's going to need a bit of persuasion if it's rusted in, start gently with a rubber mallet or block of wood so you don't damage the flange and joint, hit it one side then the other, eventually it will come free. A smear of grease when you put it back will help next time.

JRB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine on my 07 was really stuck in there, i dulled down a cold chisel and got it out with some firm but gentle tappy tap tap's.

also give it some penetrating oil if you have some, if you don't but have atf and a spirit or thinner, 50/50 of that can work nice as well.

Puddle Jumper 2.0

Reaction score
I’ve had mine out of my 07 Sport a few times. They do seat in tight on the front end. Agree with all comments before. Some PB Blaster overnight and rotating side taps (spin the drive line and tap it solid every 90 degrees) and it will pop out. Emery cloth and a little anti seize in the differential side when you put it back together and it won’t be such a fight if it has to come out again.