Found some stuff and would appreciate members thoughts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drowssap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just trying to completely dial in this rig. Something feels loose in front and rear. I checked all 4 corners pretty well and on the driver side I am able to get some movement out of the steering rack. It doesn't make the noise or movement from passenger side which drove me crazy because that made me think inner or outer tie rod end but it is the actual rack moving. It only moves when applying left to right pressure on driver side wheel. It only moves about a 1/16th but its moving and knocks metal to metal. Bushings? Any thoughts?

For the rear....with the whole back end up in the air you can hear a very slight growling when spinning the wheels. Almost like the knobs of the tires are slightly rubbing some where but they aren't! So I am thinking it's in the diff. When I grab the driveshaft and spin the shaft/ pinion gear by hand....I am able to move it about 3/4" to 1" back and forth before it engages. is this normal for these vehicles? When sitting at a stop and I press the clutch in and engage a gear...you can hear the shaft spin and knock until the pinion gear engages. Slight movement....but it's happening. Thanks to any and all that can contribute!

Tog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same kind of movement in the prop shaft in my 04 Auto I'm almost certain the freeway is in the transfer case

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

drowssap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah mine is definitely in the rear diff....most would say it's backlash but it isn't. The slop is in the spider gears and is supposed to be normal but it drives me crazy. I was hoping that someone else here experienced the same thing and did something about it and share that info.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Sounds like the driver's side steering rack bushing is shot. Usually the first to go since it's right under the oil drainage tray. Mine (and my rack) were absolutely shot with 160k miles...here's a vid of how bad the clunk was from inside.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqS-pA1QeF8

Few ways to fix it.
1. Easiest and least expensive.
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f202/how-band-aid-shot-steering-rack-bushing-40247/
Shim it up with some rubber washers. Just by your description, it seems like yours is in better shape than mine, and on mine this trick improved it, so yours it might even fix it.
2. Replace the bushings. Not too easy of a job. You'd have to undo the soft lines from the rack, take out the oil tray and maybe the hardlines from the steering rack (I can't remember if there's enough room to lift the rack up/rotate it with them on) to slide the bushings out from the bottom.
3. Replace the rack. I wouldn't even attempt to do the bushings if you're over 140-150k miles. By the time you've it taken apart enough to move the rack around and get the bushings out, you're 2/3 of the way to replacing the rack. Plus when I got my old rack out, one of the bushings was seized up anyway, would've been impossible to get out. The rack will probably be leaking soon, even if it isn't now. I didn't think mine was leaking until I took off the inner tie rod boots and fluid poured out.

Sorry to potentially scare you lol.

drowssap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks very much Hoosier....If it is on the way out and is only moving just a little....I will go the rubber washer temp fix route first. Rig has 108k miles on it. Tires have always been stock size since new and I think it was primarily used as a DD 98% of it's life. I believe I am the third owner and the owner previous to me only had the vehicle for a short while and only did a few very light trails. Thanks again!

Members online