Fog/Spot lights?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chris03kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm looking for some cheaper fog or spot lights to mount to my bumper. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Whats your idea of cheap?
Cheap lights = poor beam pattern and not worth installing
Where are you going to use them ?
If on road then you'll want to stay with a fog beam since spot beams would blind oncoming traffic
Hella has some "good / more reasonably priced " fog lights
PIAA's lights have a blue tint to them and doesn't help vision at all

chris03kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On road/off road mix. I want a large spread of light, though. I'll check out hella, I don't wanna spend much more then 80$ for the pair though, so that severely limits me

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 700ff are good lights, drop some 100watt bulbs in them and you have a killer setup

Sent with the power of children's screams!!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
700FFs are good I have a set but wouldn't run them on road and blind everyone
OK for roads with no oncoming traffic. If in Chicago I'm sure you just need something for more light on mainly city streets and fogs will do that

chris03kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
700FFs are good I have a set but wouldn't run them on road and blind everyone

OK for roads with no oncoming traffic. If in Chicago I'm sure you just need something for more light on mainly city streets and fogs will do that

do you have a picture of your setup? I wanna see what the end product could look like...

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have an 03' (going based on your name) I would suggest the fogs that are meant for it!

czarkj-albums-my-jeep-picture4579-img-0711.jpg

czarkj-albums-my-jeep-picture4578-img-0710.jpg

I was able to put them in for under 100$. Though I wired them myself which most people will frown on but they are fused, relayed, switched, and work perfect. Check out something like this.

Jeep Liberty Replacement Fog Light Assembly - 1-Pair : Amazon.com : Automotive

chris03kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I already have the fogs...they came with the car...I just want more lights haha

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
do you have a picture of your setup? I wanna see what the end product could look like...

My setup/look slightly changes weekly and will look nothing like yours with the stock bumper etc, here it was a few weeks back
Hella700FF besides the headlights, FF100s running as fogs , (4)FF300s on the RL roof rack
You must be registered for see images attach

chris03kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images
I don't have any pics of mine because I just got a new phone, but I'm thinking of mounting them right on the first slit of the grille on each side nudged up against the bump on the bumper by the head lights. I'm worried if I put 100watt bulbs in each I'm really going to need a HO alternator...I'm already pushing the stock one...

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
You'll be fine with the alternator, plus you can't really install a larger one
There is a way to drill through the bumper into metal below to mount them securely. I can turn all of mine on (4) on top, (2) driving, (2) fog, and (2) 3X3 LEDs ( not shown in the picture) and doesn't faze the charging system at all
and like I mentioned with 100 watt bulbs the only place you'll be able to run them is off road or deserted highways. Some guy around here tried it was blinding everyone until he tried it with me one night, hit him with all of mine, now he keeps them off I see

Last edited:

chris03kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only reason I'd ever use them on road would be to let someone whose tailgating me pass then get them...lol jk, but I already drain my alternator with my sound system... eventually I'm looking to put some smaller LED bars in the two slots inside from the stock fog lights as well...

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Better battery then or better setup with the sound system.
With the computer controlling the charging a larger alternator will not do anything more than your present one really.

chris03kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My amp is 1200watt rms and 2400peak, connected directly to the battery so my only idea would be a bigger alternator can supply it more power while charging the battery too. It's a while down the road anyways. I'm gonna look Into buying the hella 700ff's and maybe dropping some 100watt bulbs into them

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My amp is 1200watt rms and 2400peak, connected directly to the battery so my only idea would be a bigger alternator can supply it more power while charging the battery too. It's a while down the road anyways. I'm gonna look Into buying the hella 700ff's and maybe dropping some 100watt bulbs into them

If your alternator is having issues with that might I suggest a capacitor for the sound system. Would prevent any hard hits from really draining anything and dimming lights. Also check your battery but I'm assuming that's fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Peanut Butter

chris03kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The battery is from 2009, and has gone through 3 beginning 4 harsh winters now...it's had trouble starting before, but not often. I already have a 1.2 farad capacitor with a voltmeter on it, and when I get in my car after a cold night (parked at 10pm, and I get in it at 645am) it still reads 12.2 volts, and this makes me think the battery health is good, but the starting troubles and all make me think it can hold voltage, just not as many amps as it should...

TexasRock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you done the "Big 3" to your engine/alternator/ground? You could also add a capacitor or two inline with your amplifier.

Also, it wouldn't drain your alternator, only your battery. If your battery is draining, check to see if your alternator is good, then check your battery. May need to get a better battery... Once the engine is running, the electrical burden is shifted over to the alternator, and the battery then goes into a charging state, with the voltage bias of the alternator being greater than that of the battery itself.

At this point, the battery only functions to filter and stablize the DC voltage from the alternator.

Your amp may be rated at 1200watts, but that's not the voltage draw from it. The amp may be able to draw 120A of current on a test bench, in your Jeep, you may never see two-thirds of that actual current draw, and not for any sustained period of time, at that.

Most vehicle electrical systems are 12.6VDC at idle, and between 13.8 to 14.4VDC above about 900-1200rpm but we use 12 volts as the standard for these calculations because many amplifiers today use a regulated power supply, so they get 12VDC regardless of input voltage.

1,200 watts divided by 12 volts equals 100 Amperes of current.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The battery is from 2009, and has gone through 3 beginning 4 harsh winters now...it's had trouble starting before, but not often. I already have a 1.2 farad capacitor with a voltmeter on it, and when I get in my car after a cold night (parked at 10pm, and I get in it at 645am) it still reads 12.2 volts, and this makes me think the battery health is good, but the starting troubles and all make me think it can hold voltage, just not as many amps as it should...

Your battery is getting weak,a fully charged battery should read above 12.6 volts all the way to 13.2 volts for higher end batteries.

Most vehicle electrical systems are 12.6VDC at idle, and between 13.8 to 14.4VDC above about 900-1200rpm but we use 12 volts as the standard for these calculations because many amplifiers today use a regulated power supply, so they get 12VDC regardless of input voltage.

1,200 watts divided by 12 volts equals 100 Amperes of current.
If your engine is running,even at idle,the alternator should be putting out 13.2 volts to 14.9 volts.If not you got problems in the charging system.

TexasRock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Troy,

You are correct sir. I was speaking of "most" vehicles. Thank you for the correction. My Jeep puts out 14.1 at idle..