Fog lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lib88888

Reaction score
Hiya guys, anyone know why my front fog lights are on when I have my normal lights on? They don’t go off.

Also when I pull the stalk out, to put the rear fogs on, they don’t come on. (Bulbs are fine)

Not a clue what’s happening lol thanks guys

Deb'nKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
somewhere between London & Zunny Deb'n (England)
Are you saying that with the foglight switch in the off position, they come on as soon as you turn the lights on, or the headlights? Do they go off with main beam? (as you have rear fogs, I'm assuming you're not in the US).

Can't imagine conditions when you'd need rears on & not fronts but not sure that they work as you suggest & don't need to be switched on separately.

MsRandiCook

Cookie
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
In Germany they required a red rear fog light. When I did vehicle engineering, I had to go there for the company I was working for an another issue. But it was common there. Some American vehicles had them as it was easier just to build one car than special country cars. Also, amber turns for Asia. It was a challenging for all the regulations.

On my KK at least the parking lites have to be on for the fogs to work.

Deb'nKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Either the Germany or Sweden (probably Sweden) invented rear fogs, back in the mid-'70's & they have been mandatory throughout Europe since '81 (certainly in the UK) but it is Belgium that is obsessive about them so they require them to be retrofitted to all older vehicles.

Most regulations have, for some time now, required them not to come on on next start after leaving them switched on when turning off the ignition.

Amber rear turn signals were required in the UK in, I think, '57 and at the front, from '84(?) - now they are standard everywhere except the USA (although the EU regs permit imported American vehicles to retain, at least, their red rear turn signals). From my experience, I'd be surprised if there's any requirement for turn signals (or any other lights, for that matter) throughout much of Asia; e.g. green tail lights and/or blue side markers are popular in India now.

Fog lights are, generally, required to be only on with parking lights or low beam headlights (Oz is a notable exception, where they can be used in conjunction with hi/main beams).

But we digress, because, as interesting as this might be, none of it helps with OP's problem or the specific points on which I sought clarification.

Welcome to the asylum, Ms Cook

Lib88888

Reaction score
However, still insightful lol

Yeah my issue is just when I turn the main lights on(headlights) the front two fogs come on with it, and when pulling the stalk out no rear fogs appear.

Previous owner dodgy wiring perhaps?

MsRandiCook

Cookie
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Either the Germany or Sweden (probably Sweden) invented rear fogs, back in the mid-'70's & they have been mandatory throughout Europe since '81 (certainly in the UK) but it is Belgium that is obsessive about them so they require them to be retrofitted to all older vehicles.

Most regulations have, for some time now, required them not to come on on next start after leaving them switched on when turning off the ignition.

Amber rear turn signals were required in the UK in, I think, '57 and at the front, from '84(?) - now they are standard everywhere except the USA (although the EU regs permit imported American vehicles to retain, at least, their red rear turn signals). From my experience, I'd be surprised if there's any requirement for turn signals (or any other lights, for that matter) throughout much of Asia; e.g. green tail lights and/or blue side markers are popular in India now.

Fog lights are, generally, required to be only on with parking lights or low beam headlights (Oz is a notable exception, where they can be used in conjunction with hi/main beams).

But we digress, because, as interesting as this might be, none of it helps with OP's problem or the specific points on which I sought clarification.

Welcome to the asylum, Ms Cook
Well done my love!

Cheers!

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
However, still insightful lol

Yeah my issue is just when I turn the main lights on(headlights) the front two fogs come on with it, and when pulling the stalk out no rear fogs appear.

Previous owner dodgy wiring perhaps?
Dodgy contacts in the switch maybe?

Deb'nKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't now remember but just wondering if it's possible to turn the lights off with the foglight switch in the on position.

I think the operation of the switch lever may have confused you, as it has many others (e.g. my KJ came with an after market rear fog because, clearly, a PO had never worked out how to turn the OEM ones on)

The rear fogs are operated by turning the switch past the headlight position. Pulling out the knob at the end operates the front fog.