Fog Lights 2007 Liberty Sport

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks, Tom. It's good to get some independent confirmation that it's necessary. :)

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd break out the Dancing Banana (I'm referring to the smilie, for you perverts out there), but it's a mixed verdict. I'll try to hit the high points for the "tldr" folks:

1) They work! :D
2) It's not clear if the programming was necessary or not.

Took it in, they programmed it, still no lights. I was beginning to doubt my mechanical skills, at least a little. Turned out, the relay I thought was already there was not in the spot it should be. To explain, there was already a fuse in spot #19, even though the Jeep had never had fog lights before. There was also a relay in the spot apparently marked in the installation instructions. Here's a picture which might explain the confusion:

You must be registered for see images attach

Now where, dear reader, would you expect this relay to go? If you said on the second row directly under the middle one in the top row you would be wrong. Like me. :chair:

It actually goes on the far right, next to the first two. The fact that the picture looks to me like it goes in the middle, coupled with the fact that the fuse was already there, made me think someone had already installed both.

The mechanic was honest and said he actually had no idea if the programming was necessary or not. He'd already done it before installing the relay so it was impossible to tell. In other words, had the relay been installed before the programming and the lights worked, then no programming was needed. If it was installed and they didn't work until it was programmed you'd know it was required. Since the programming was done first it's impossible to be sure. Maybe if someone comes along later and reads this post it will help them out with the relay location.

At any rate, they work now - and he waived the $47.50 programming charge since he agreed that the Mopar directions were ambiguous.

So what the heck, dancing bananas after all!

:big_banana_Dance:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thats great that at least you got them to work!!
so I'll dance with ya
:big_banana_Dance::big_banana_Dance:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I should have added that the replacement stalk assembly was a piece of cake. Take two screws out and the top and bottom of the plastic shroud comes off. The stalk assembly lifts out in one piece and has two plug-in connectors on the back. Pop them out, plug them in to the new stalk assembly, drop it in place, replace the top and bottom of the shroud and the two screws and you're done. It took me about as long to type this as it did to do it.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm with Tom...but the idea of a dancing banana gives me the willies, so...

:emoticondancer:

Bob

kfingerlos

Reaction score
Many thanks to profdlp - this post just saved me a trip to the dealer with my 2006 CRD Sport adding the factory fog kit (also purchased on ebay for ~$175). Same exact symptom where nothing worked and the fuse (and I thought the relay) were already present. Added the relay in the 3rd position on second row and all is happy.

Note that on my unit, no reprogramming was needed.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks, kfingerlos! I thought I might end up wondering for the rest of my life whether the programming was needed or not. And I can't tell you how happy I am to hear that I am not the only person in the world confused by the directions. A little text would have gone a long way, even if it was something simple like "Put relay on the bottom row, far right".

I'm glad it worked out for you. :favorites13:

paraliberty

Reaction score
Factory fog light addition

I did not buy the kit. I bought the factory replacement lights off of Rock Auto along with the multi function switch for fog light option. My plugs were already in the grill so I merely plugged them in. I need to go tomorrow and buy the relay and plug it in. Mine also already has a fuse in spot #19. My question is in the grill... did you add the plugs and wiring up front, as shown in the illustration?

I have put in the multi function and get the green indicator on the dash when I turn them on but no light yet. Hopefully the relay and I will be good.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, I did all the wiring. I pretty much followed the directions all the way through.

My guess is that the relay will take care of it, assuming the wiring that was there before is correct.

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As long as you follow factory you shouldn't have any issues. One thing most vehicles are set up to to one another so adding additional options is not really an issue via OEM parts.

paraliberty

Reaction score
Done

Went to parts house and bought the relay for $8.55 after trying 2 sockets I finally picked the correct one and, BINGO lights came on. Thanks for the wright up it was a big help. I will try to take a good pic of the relay position and post it. That seems to be the only thing left that is a little vague.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
...I will try to take a good pic of the relay position and post it. That seems to be the only thing left that is a little vague.

A picture would never hurt, but I thought I had it covered. :)

5) The fuse (#19, going both by the installation instructions and the owner's manual) is good. There was already a relay in the place indicated* ...

*No there wasn't. It goes on the bottom row, far right! (See Post #22)

...A little text would have gone a long way, even if it was something simple like "Put relay on the bottom row, far right"...

Snowy

Reaction score
Hi, I know this post is old but I had a question if someone could help me. I installed factory fog lights and the switch/stalk in my daughters 2003 Liberty. I was able to find the factory wiring harness that has the extra connections for the fog lights. Like everyone else, they dont work. Does anyone have a part number for the relay so I can purchase the relay ahead of time so I will have it when I take a peek under the dash?

Thanks

Mark

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it's the same relay as the rest under there. they're pretty common, and you could temporarily "borrow" one from another socket to test the fogs.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
it's the same relay as the rest under there. they're pretty common, and you could temporarily "borrow" one from another socket to test the fogs.
That's what I would do, just to be sure you're chasing the right problem to begin with.

Snowy

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I was able to get them working. The hardest part was dealing with the idiot at the auto parts store. He insisted that is something I wouldnt be able to get because of the age of the vehicle. I told him he sucked at doing his job and ordered it online.