Fog Lights 2007 Liberty Sport

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I would like to install some fog lights in my 2007 Liberty in the location in the grill provided. There are a few threads here on the subject but all the ones I found were 5+ years old and had lots of dead links and deleted pictures.

I would like to do this cheaply, so the dealer/factory OEM stuff is out. I don't mind having to run my own wiring and installing my own switch. I've seen lots of "kits" on the web but they don't specify what exactly is included.

My plan is to just mount the two lights in the holes already provided and tap into the wiring wherever you guys recommend, perhaps straight to the fuse box. I've seen wiring harnesses and pigtails but none of them are clearly marked as being matched to one another. The only comprehensive kits which seem to assure having everything are the super-expensive dealer stuff.

Any suggestions would be welcome!

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't all speak at once... :icon_lol:

This is a little more than I wanted to pay, but includes the replacement stalk, etc.

05 06 07 Jeep Liberty Fog Lights Light Lamps Mopar | eBay

Would this work, and could I get a better deal elsewhere?

That would work. When I was looking for a replacement because one of mine burned out I think I came across it for about $140 or so and just the replacement light was about $70. Do not remember where though. Most places wanted over $200 for the entire kit.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Like most anything you get what you pay for. You could find some small lights that fit the holes, make brackets etc and wire them in
or buy the kit

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have some 3.5 inch (I think) round lights I got from walmart. Fits perfect in my 06

Sent from my Home Phone using Tapatalk

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Salvage/junk yard?

Here in Northern Ohio it's tough to find Liberties in the salvage places - at least my area in Stark & Summit counties. Maybe along the lake you'll have better luck.

For what it's worth (maybe not much...) an OEM system is the better way to go. That's the route I took with the trailer harness and it was smooth as butta. But I prefer the factory look and operation for most things - except for the lift, the JBA arms, the tires, the wheels, the bedliner, the interior lights....

:anitoof:

Bob

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Last question, then I (probably) buy the ones I linked to above:

How hard is the stalk replacement? I'm handy with tools, but this will be a new one for me. Is it a straightforward process, or am I looking at a weekend-long job?

I say "probably" because I likely won't have time for an extended project if the stalk side of things is too complicated and time-consuming.

...I prefer the factory look and operation for most things...
Thanks, Bob. Same with me. :)

...except for the lift, the JBA arms, the tires, the wheels, the bedliner, the interior lights...
And I like short girls, except for all the lady basketball and volleyball players, and supermodels and... :D

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't all speak at once... :icon_lol:

This is a little more than I wanted to pay, but includes the replacement stalk, etc.

05 06 07 Jeep Liberty Fog Lights Light Lamps Mopar | eBay

Would this work, and could I get a better deal elsewhere?

That looks like a good deal to me. I bought my trailer harness off of eBay from a Jeep/Dodge dealership that was liquidating parts inventory - it was in the original packaging and it installed perfectly.

As far as installing the new stalk...Several others have replaced their multi-stalk but I've not had to. Not sure how big of a project it is but with most of the OEM/factory mods it is close to plug 'n play. You can do it! :waytogo:

Bob

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Not hard, not an all day job, but you do have to follow proper procedures with the airbag right there etc

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not hard, not an all day job, but you do have to follow proper procedures with the airbag right there etc

+1. It's been a few years, so I don't remember details, but it was not a difficult job. I was very happy with the Mopar kit.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Done!

Thanks, everyone. I am new to the Jeep world and wouldn't want to spend $200 on something that didn't work. The parts are supposed to be here by next Friday, so here's hoping for a light school load next weekend. :)

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I finally made time to do the installation today. The operation was a success but the patient died. :icon_sad:

I followed the instructions to the letter. (Actually to the "picture", since the instructions include no text whatsoever.)

You must be registered for see images attach

It tells you to tap the LB (Light Blue) wire on the wiring harness included with the lights to the WT/YL (White/Yellow) wire on the right front light harness. There were actually TWO White/Yellow wires, the one in the middle you're supposed to use (see picture) and one next to it. It was getting dark, so I had to button things up for the night or I would have experimented a little. (Dangerous, where I'm concerned.)

Here is where I stand now:

1) Everything that worked before still works properly. (Thank goodness!)
2) The Fog Light indicator on the dash lights up at the appropriate times. (i.e., When I turn the fog light switch on.)
3) No lights from the new fogs.
4) I was worried that maybe the ground was no good so I hooked it straight to the (-) terminal on the battery. No change.
5) The fuse (#19, going both by the installation instructions and the owner's manual) is good. There was already a relay in the place indicated* but I tried replacing it with the one from my Mopar kit anyway. No change.

The dash light indicates that the Jeep thinks the fog lights are on. It also goes out when I cut the high beams on, as expected.

Any suggestions would be welcome and very much appreciated! :think:

*No there wasn't. It goes on the bottom row, far right! (See Post #22)

Last edited:

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious did you Check to see if the bulbs are good?
I would also recheck the wire colors in the daylight.

Last edited:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Just curious did you Check to see if the bulbs are good?
I would also recheck the wire colors in the daylight.

Thanks, Porkchop. I can't swear to the bulbs. They were already mounted in the fixtures and other than snapping on the sockets I didn't touch them. This was a brand new kit purchased from a dealer (Steve White Motors) so I didn't think BOTH bulbs could be bad. Worth a check if I go through too many straws and am down to my last one, though.

The actual installation under the hood/grille was done in plenty of daylight. It was only after the steering column and troubleshooting part was finished up that I started losing the sun. I also left myself plenty of time to make sure I had the thing back together and tools put away before I was doing it with a flashlight.

My best guess at this point is either that the wire in the diagram is mis-marked and is not the one I actually need, or that some computer jiggery needs to be performed to enable something. A neighbor who is very good with cars stopped by while walking his dog and agreed that I had the wire I was supposed to use, at least according to the installation instructions. As for the computer side, the fact that the dash indicator light works leads me to believe that the Jeep agrees that there are actually fog lights there. (Or at least, that the switch on the new stalk on the steering column is there.)

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guess it's time to Check it with a meter or a continuity tester. Let us know what you find. Also I have gotten new lights that have been bad before, new doesn't always mean good.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Just (another) dumb question, but would there be any danger in hooking the lights directly to the battery for a quick second to see if they do indeed light up? :shocked:

What I'd love is for someone to come along and tell me that the installation guide is wrong and to use the _______ wire instead. That and a winning lottery ticket, anyway.

It might be Wednesday or even next weekend before I get a chance to do much. I am so pressed for time that I'd like to have a good list of things to check/try so I'm not standing out there in the snow two months from now trying to get this done.

:mfr_omg:

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No danger 12 volts are 12 volts just don't leave them hooked up to any thing else when you test them.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I think that will be Step One, then. No use chasing down wires and switches and relays and fuses until I know that the lights actually work.

Any and all suggestions for Step Two are still much appreciated. :icon_smile:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Spoke with two different dealers and they both said it needed to be reprogrammed. $47 bucks to have someone push a button. I guess it could have been worse...

I have an appointment Friday afternoon for my proctology exam, err...to have the reprogramming done. :fca5278e:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Just caught up on the install, was going to say thought they had to be programmed or something to work as stock