Finnished Franky Install = Alignment!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes every Franky we've done here and others I have seen were all in the 23 plus range when new .
Interesting if you're at only 22 and then having noise. NOW I will say that the upper and lower isolators they use for the extra lift do make a lot of strange squeaky type noises when first installed and broke in. That could be what you are hearing. Get some WD 40 or something and spray at the top and bottom of the spring and then drive to see if that may take care of it. Wash off afterwards so it doesn't collect dust and dirt.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
i measured from the Jeep logo on the wheel, 22 1/2 ish

measure from dead center to the bottom of the flare .. your probably close to 23"

Wow you really have a low mileage KJ! I just hit 180,000 yesterday.

604KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So a couple days later now and the noises are going away slowly, things have come together nicely.

So tires, wait as long as i can. What you thinking? I was wanting to get them right away but you make a very good point. What about getting tires by the end of March, is that long enough to wait?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So a couple days later now and the noises are going away slowly, things have come together nicely.

So tires, wait as long as i can. What you thinking? I was wanting to get them right away but you make a very good point. What about getting tires by the end of March, is that long enough to wait?
Go out a flex the front end as much as you can between now and march.Get the new tires and get the alignment re-checked/set.

604KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im getting that grinding feel again. I noticed it more this afternoon while driving uphill doing about 70k. It been there since i lifted, and only on the front driver side. More so the faster you go it seems. Any ideas?

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
describe more, low rumble, scrape, tick, etc.

tires on plastic, metal on metal.

If your at the higher end of the frankenlift height, 23 inch plus, you might here your CV joints rumble a bit. Heard it with mine when i took mine for the first run after lifting pre alignment.

Popular advice for Frankenlift is to flex it, twist it as advised above. Hit speed bumps, flex over parking dividers, do what you got to do, it will quiet down assuming thats it.

604KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, more of a vibration than a noise. If i gun it i can feel it, driving around normally you don't notice it. I get a clunking noise when turning and over bumps but i know that's the sway bar links. The vibration only becomes really noticeable at higher speeds or when I'm making the jeep work. I've been hitting as many bumps as i can, all the ones i used to avoid lol. Speed bumps too. I would assume if it was a cv issue, that i would know for sure by now after driving it for a week now, does that sound right? Maybe i just need to let it work itself out. I'm only at 22, the only thing that comes to mind is
i had to push the drivers side down really far to get the clevis back on. The passenger side wasn't pushed down as much as the drivers was

Sent from my XT885 using Tapatalk

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does the vib change when you hit a bump? ie the front cv angle changes and it lesses in noise.

does it go away when you left off the gas?

604KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't noticed if it changes from hitting a bump, happens so quickly since I'm doing over 50k to make this feel come out. I will check this on my drive home tonight. It does stop when i left of the gas though. So let say ill floor it (i dont even have to floor it) but get it going fast above 50k, thats when i start to really feel it. Then ill let off the gas and coast, and its not vibrating anymore.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
btwn 70-80 kph?.. does it make your rear view mirror shake when you put your foot into it? If so I have no answer for ya ... yet. (Oops missed your last post)

If I were you, I would cruise over the Lion's Gate and head north ;) hit some logging roads.... or any direction now that I think about it ..lol some sweet one near Nahatlatch!

Drivers side is always tighter for some reason. You just have to watch that CV boot and try not to crush it. Having the LBJ undone helps a bit if your so inclined.

604KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lions gate lol! are you from around here?

Maybe i just need to get out there and get this thing flexed, before i start worrying too much about noises. Ill try that this weekend.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Luke has been everywhere. Reminds me of an old gal I knew in High School. :hidesbehindsofa:

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
I lived in Vancouver for 3 awesome years :) .. actually my daughter was born at St. Mikes 20 years ago.. man I'm almost as old as some ;) around here!

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't noticed if it changes from hitting a bump, happens so quickly since I'm doing over 50k to make this feel come out. I will check this on my drive home tonight. It does stop when i left of the gas though. So let say ill floor it (i dont even have to floor it) but get it going fast above 50k, thats when i start to really feel it. Then ill let off the gas and coast, and its not vibrating anymore.
Check the rear u-joints.Common symptom is a vib under throttle then it goes away when you let off the gas.

604KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question about the sway bar..trying to figure out if i messed up a step doing the lift. I did not take the sway bar off and only removed the sway bar end links. Should I have taken the whole bar off not just the links? Im still having a loud thump over speed bumps, hoping this is why.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Question about the sway bar..trying to figure out if i messed up a step doing the lift. I did not take the sway bar off and only removed the sway bar end links. Should I have taken the whole bar off not just the links? Im still having a loud thump over speed bumps, hoping this is why.

No need to remove the whole front sway bar
I only take one end off on each end and never have an issue
Loosen both sides and with full weight on , retighten them again
Loud thump could just be the suspension. You have to remember the springs are preloaded to a point with the Frankenlift, so they are stiffer and will ride rougher and bumps will be more pronounced until its broke in good. Just driving around town will not do it, have to be twisting it up, alot !

604KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i finally found out what the knocking & vibration was coming from. The lower ball join nut on the control arms (the one with the pin through it) keeps coming loose. I have to keep tightening it, is that normal? HOw do i stop it from coming loose?