Finally lifted. P or LT tires now?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mindbomb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all

Thanks to everybody on this forum for all the valuable info. Finally lifted my Libby. Still got the stock wheels and tires on. Steering feels super sensitive and weird but I hope it'll get better after alignment and bigger tires. I'll make a summary post with pics from the process after all is done.

You must be registered for see images attach

I bought a set of hankook Dynapro P245/75r16 ATs and got them but they feel a little thin and unprotected to me which left me wondering maybe I made a mistake and I should sent them back and get LT tires on instead. I do NOT want to lose much power nor have a stiff ride though but am planning to go wheelin with the KJ and adding skid plates.

Thought that getting a load C 6 ply tires is a good compromise / middle ground but can't find any ATs in 6 ply anymore.

Opinions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I've had 2 sets of P metric Terra Grapplers on mine. Lots of offroad miles with them aired down for rock crawling and have never had a cut or tear. Knock on wood.

Weighs less too!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I've only ran P's on the 04 , always did great, don't understand why some put 8 and 10 ply on.
You'll be fine
Steering is sensitive since its not aligned yet

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the difference is in the number of tread plies
P = Passenger, 4 ply
load C (LT tire) would be 6 ply
load D 8 ply
and load E 10 ply.

that said i run P on our 2002. no problems so far.

mindbomb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've only ran P's on the 04 , always did great, don't understand why some put 8 and 10 ply on.

You'll be fine

Steering is sensitive since its not aligned yet

Off roaded? Rocks? No flats?

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think that's the first time I've ever seen someone ask TOMMUDD if he's been off-roading with his tires... come on mindbomb..
KIDDING! I have LTs right now and love them (no off-roading only street driving)
I'm sure if you get really any good brand AT tire it'll do just fine in whatever environment
But of course you get what you pay for so don't buy a cheap set

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Off roaded? Rocks? No flats?

I really lied before, never been offroading in my life , go to the Mall once in a while is all

Back way in

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I think that's the first time I've ever seen someone ask TOMMUDD if he's been off-roading with his tires... come on mindbomb..
KIDDING! I have LTs right now and love them (no off-roading only street driving)
I'm sure if you get really any good brand AT tire it'll do just fine in whatever environment
But of course you get what you pay for so don't buy a cheap set

Kids ask the darnest things don't they?:happy175:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
P-metric tires are not designed to run at lower psi when offroading(or at all),there design will lead to failure and punctures when going below say 20psi.The terrain is also a factor,you being in Cali I would never run P-metrics offroad due to the rocks encountered there which will be more jagged then say the mid-west of east coast.

I'm sure Tom may know this one but LT tires were originally called "flotation tires" and are designed to be aired down.

Plus the ride will be so much better with a LT tire once you set the psi correctly(most D and E tires on a KJ is 38-40psi).You will only encounter a "stiff" ride if you over inflate the tires for the weight.

If you can find load range C tires those will be the best for the KJ but the D's and E's are good to if your fully armored and tipping the scales at over 5000lbs.

Look closely at the left rear tire,your p-metric would never survive that.Those are 265/75R16 load range D tires set at 10psi.

mindbomb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
P-metric tires are not designed to run at lower psi when offroading(or at all),there design will lead to failure and punctures when going below say 20psi.The terrain is also a factor,you being in Cali I would never run P-metrics offroad due to the rocks encountered there which will be more jagged then say the mid-west of east coast.

I'm sure Tom may know this one but LT tires were originally called "flotation tires" and are designed to be aired down.

Plus the ride will be so much better with a LT tire once you set the psi correctly(most D and E tires on a KJ is 38-40psi).You will only encounter a "stiff" ride if you over inflate the tires for the weight.

If you can find load range C tires those will be the best for the KJ but the D's and E's are good to if your fully armored and tipping the scales at over 5000lbs.

Look closely at the left rear tire,your p-metric would never survive that.Those are 265/75R16 load range D tires set at 10psi.

Thanks tj
Any specific recommendation for LT245/75r16s ATs which are not load E?(c or d)

From the searches I've done seems like this type of tires are not readily available anymore.

mindbomb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tom do you air down the P metrics when off roading?

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really do agree with tjkj
My load C LT tires ride great and I believe they're running on around 40 psi
I'd checkout some Goodyear AT tires because I've heard nothing but good things about them and you KNOW they'd be a good brand

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I'd checkout some Goodyear AT tires because I've heard nothing but good things about them and you KNOW they'd be a good brand

Chaulk test them, 40 may be a bit high
I ran 34 in my 265-75-16s on a 8 inch wheel
rotated every 3000 miles, over 90,000 miles

mindbomb

Full Access Member
Reaction score

What tires you got there ?

mindbomb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Goodyear Wrangler Authority

I see.. bummer from their website seems only available in load C for
LT265/70R17C and LT265/75R16C sizes which won't help me.

I think in general 245/75R16 size options are either P or LT load E, so I think I'll stay with my Hankook dynapro P metrics as I feel a 10 ply is an overkill for the KJ that'll reduce my gas mileage, enlarge my braking distance and provide stiffer ride. Afterall I do drive the truck mostly on-road and will off-road once a month max. Not expecting to do any real rock crawling with IFS anyways..

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see.. bummer from their website seems only available in load C for
LT265/70R17C and LT265/75R16C sizes which won't help me.

I think in general 245/75R16 size options are either P or LT load E, so I think I'll stay with my Hankook dynapro P metrics as I feel a 10 ply is an overkill for the KJ that'll reduce my gas mileage, enlarge my braking distance and provide stiffer ride. Afterall I do drive the truck mostly on-road and will off-road once a month max. Not expecting to do any real rock crawling with IFS anyways..

We have the same lift height and I got 31x10.5s which are LT and barely any change in gas mileage- just depends on your driving pattern
Any tire that is bigger than stock will decrease your gas mileage on some way, be harder to get up to speed from dead stop and slow down quickly