Fast blinkers with LED's - solder or replacement part?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smittyfromPA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My ARB bumper came with LED turn signals and now they are blinking at twice the rate. After some research I'm told it is because LEDs draw less power, so the computer thinks the bulb is burnt out (I did not know that faster flashing was a warning message.)

I found a fix for it on this forum (link below) but does anyone know if there is a replacement part available instead of soldering a resistor? Haven't done any soldering since high school.

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f196/modifying-hazard-blinker-relay-led-turn-signals-54821/

smittyfromPA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Either add the resistors,go back to regular bulbs,or live with it.

Only 3 options you have,sorry.

I'll live with it for a few months. I have a buddy out of state who makes micro-controller circuit boards for a living. He can probably do it in 5min. won't see him till Fall though.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll live with it for a few months. I have a buddy out of state who makes micro-controller circuit boards for a living. He can probably do it in 5min. won't see him till Fall though.

My vote is a resistor

Very easy to install a resister in line, takes just a few minutes

You don't want to leave your flashers like that - since a quick flash is the universal indicator of a burnt out bulb you're inviting a trooper to pull you over to check things out. Not sure what he/she would tell you.

I put resistors in-line. Bought two 20 amp resistors (maybe 25 - can't remember) from a local car stereo/alarm system/custom shop and installed them in less than an hour. Longest, hardest part of the job was taking the washer bottle guard off the ARB and reinstalling it.

You don't HAVE to solder the connections. You can buy crimps to install the resistor in-line. If you do it that way be sure to wrap the connections very securely with electrical tape. Also, attach the resistor to a metal part of the bumper - they do get hot and they could melt a plastic component.

It really is an easy fix :waytogo:

Bob

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't want to leave your flashers like that - since a quick flash is the universal indicator of a burnt out bulb you're inviting a trooper to pull you over to check things out. Not sure what he/she would tell you.

I put resistors in-line. Bought two 20 amp resistors (maybe 25 - can't remember) from a local car stereo/alarm system/custom shop and installed them in less than an hour. Longest, hardest part of the job was taking the washer bottle guard off the ARB and reinstalling it.

You don't HAVE to solder the connections. You can buy crimps to install the resistor in-line. If you do it that way be sure to wrap the connections very securely with electrical tape. Also, attach the resistor to a metal part of the bumper - they do get hot and they could melt a plastic component.

It really is an easy fix :waytogo:

Bob

Not sure you need 20amps of resistance since the standard bulbs are ~2 amps. Here is what I used:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/flashers-load-resistors/

They were super easy and I was able to drill them right into the Jeep (for my LED tail light bulbs). I'm sure you can leave them bouncing around if you really want. Vampire clamps make it super easy to attach to wires. Instructions were clear. And the clamps came with a bit of dielectric grease already in them :)

Last edited:

Ocelot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does tbe Lib have a flasher relay?
If so, why not replace it with a LED compatible unit?

Ocelot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like I may OU an apology, it seems that a number of the liberties have a flasher relay integrated into their hazard lights switch

smittyfromPA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure you need 20amps of resistance since the standard bulbs are ~2 amps. Here is what I used:

They were super easy and I was able to drill them right into the Jeep (for my LED tail light bulbs). I'm sure you can leave them bouncing around if you really want. Vampire clamps make it super easy to attach to wires. Instructions were clear. And the clamps came with a bit of dielectric grease already in them :)

Thanks, ordered the resistors and they are on the way.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

You're right, @dude1116 - it was 25 WATT not 25 AMPS. :Insane:

Doh...

Bob