Key or WCM or PCM???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Tim....what Year/Model is your KJ and what are the symptoms?

Does the engine turn over constantly but not fire.....with LED on solid or flashing?

Or does it fire and run for a few seconds then die?

Have you done anything to cause this? ie. had new keys cut or worked around the wiring?o_O

Tim Reynolds

Reaction score
2005 CRD. Engine won’t turn over. This happens intermittently. Sometimes it starts. When it doesn’t start, the red light stays on. It has also started and quit.
When I purchased it the previous owner mentioned it. I never really noticed it until I purchased an extra key from eBay. I programmed it myself and it worked. Now it’***** or miss? I took it to a Jeep stealer ship and told them I probably needed new keys and whatever part it is that connects to the keys. So far they’ve charged me $155 to tell me they can’t figure it out and asked for another $460 dollars to keep diagnose it. I said NO! I’m headed there this morning to tow it back home. It’s to nice of a Liberty to not to get it fixed.

Last edited:

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let me read up again on the 2005 CRD to see how the SKEES works.o_O

As far as I know a SKEES mis-match should not prevent the engine from turning over. Usually the engine will start and run for a few seconds then cut-out or the engine will turn over but not fire at all....I will just check that for the 2005 CRD.;)

In the meantime swap over the ASD Relay under the Hood with an identical Relay nearby.

If that makes no difference...remove the ASD Relay. In the empty Relay socket carefully identify female Pins #30 and #87. Jumper these two wires together and see if the Jeep runs.....leave the Relay unplugged while the Jumper is in place.

My 2002 Export CRD had a fault with the SKEES....early KJs had a an Amber "Key" icon for SKEES error..newer KJs have the Red LED on the left of the cluster between the Fuel Gauge and the Speedo....is this the Red Light you are referring to?

In my case...jumping those two pins together enabled the Jeep to start and run...I ran with the Jumper in place for a few days until I had time to trace that one wire going to the underside of the socket was bad.:)

Also...the 2005 CRD is the only KJ that has a Front Control Module (FCM) inside the engine bay.....looks like a long thin pack of smokes. It has one connector on it which can get dirty due to being exposed to rain, snow mud, salt etc.
Try cleaning those FCM Connector contacts!
All the BUSSES run through the FCM!

This FCM is known to cause many problems on the 2005 CRD...most Breaker Yards have run out of this component I have read!:eek:

Download the 2005 Jeep KJ Service Manuals here if you do not have them already!

Section 8Q covers the SKEES/SKIM!
Section 8W has the wiring diagrams.
Section 8J describes the SKEES/SKIM....states that any error will log a DTC!
Section 8E-12 describes the FCM

Edit to Add: I really think you need to try get CEL codes pulled out.

If you do not have a Code Reader try the "Key" method....I believe it works on the 2005 Jeep but I may be wrong!

Without starting the Jeep rapidly turn the Ignition On/Off three times.
After the third On action leave the Ignition On.

The Odometer Display should start displaying Cell Codes from the oldest to the newest.
Write these codes down...only concentrate on the last few codes. Let us know what these codes are!;)

www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ/

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.