Do hyper-flashing signals hurt anything?

Discussion in 'KJ General Discussion' started by GitEmSteveDave, Feb 5, 2019.

1. GitEmSteveDave

GitEmSteveDave Full Access Member

So I ordered some smoke/clear front turn signal assemblies, but I'm gonna go amber bulbs for them, just to be safe. While I replaced all my brake and back up lights with LED's, I left the blinkers alone b/c I didn't want to deal with resistors or hyper blinking b/c of the low power draw. I'm not worried about the side marker 168's doing anything(though I have read here that they may cause hyper blinking if out), if I replace the fronts with LED's, even though the back bulbs are still incandescents, will it cause hyperblinking?.

So if I do order the LED's and they hyperblink, will that cause any issues? Will it make the rear incans burn out quicker? If I leave the side 168's as incans, will that be enough of a draw to not cause hyperflashing for the main 3157, or are they not on the same circuit?

2. dude1116

dude1116 Full Access Member

Yes you'll get hyperflash, and no it won't cause problems. No matter what bulb you replace, it'll hyperflash. The power draw is too low. Resistors are very easy to wire and cheap. I wired my rears up and they work great!

3. Aceofspades

Aceofspades Full Access Member

Is our flasher part of the bcm or can you swap it the relay for an electronic one ?

4. Elliott

Elliott Full Access Member

The flasher relay is built into the hazard switch and can be modified in order to prevent hyperflash with LEDs.

5. GitEmSteveDave

Maybe I'll just get some amber 3157's then.

6. jeeplib05

jeeplib05 Full Access Member

Why’re you so opposed to adding resistors? They have no + or - you just use wire taps and it’s done
    I’ve replaced every bulb with LEDs since they’ll last much longer and they look much cleaner

7. Aceofspades

Aceofspades Full Access Member

I get it. Using resistors kinda sucks. Plus they get hot and makes people nervous etc.

8. Billwill

Billwill Full Access Member

If the resistors get hot fit larger higher wattage ones....they dissipate the heat over a larger surface area so will only be warm to the touch.

I personally am not a fan of LEDs....I like to keep things simple!:emotions34:

9. JasonJ

JasonJ Full Access Member

To modify it as such, do you just put the resistors inline with the turn signal output wires right at the relay, as opposed to inline with the LED itself?

10. JasonJ

I hear ya... but if you knew just how many "hot" and "on the edge of disaster" electrical components you have near you or on you on any given day, you'd not only be nervous, you'd have a full-blown panic attack.

Lithium-polymer batteries in your cellphone, for example... especially when charging.

Heck.. even the basic, every day commodity cellphone chargers are using cheap, Chinese knock-off components that are likely to burst in flame at any minute.

11. mrlavalamp

mrlavalamp Full Access Member

regarding electrical safety: be sure quality work is done in your home. Electrical fires are no fun, and if your home insurance finds out you had unlicensed or unpermitted work done, they will fight your claim and they WILL deny it. I work for a commercial electrical contractor and I see this too often locally.

Ugh... LiPo batteries. The fact that they allow LiPo's in the passenger compartment of airplanes (or on them at all) is why I see it as "the illusion of security" when it comes to tsa/airports. Others call it "security theater" and they are right.

I have had TSA confiscate a leatherman, and leave a 6" retractable olfa that was sitting in the same pocket (they were touching). Or my 4in1 screwdriver that I need for work and forgot was in my bag, but you will let me keep my VERY sturdy metal pens and mech pencil (because there is no way anyone could use those as a weapon right?).

Nevermind that those LiPo in every laptop or tablet is basically a good size bomb built in if you know what you are doing.

back to the topic at hand though.

I am looking at LED turns now, and I may just keep the hyperflash as well. If anything it makes it easier for other drivers to see that my turn signal is on quicker.

I also see the plug and play wiring harnesses that have a 50w 6ohm resistor built in and these would mean no cutting/splicing required (but cost is 8 to 10 per piece it seems). might be worthwhile if the hyper flashing is annoying to you.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  12. GitEmSteveDave

Yeah, I just don't feel comfortable messing with the wiring which could short something like the BCM.

It's a moot point anyway b/c the signals I ordered came in and they aren't smoke or clear, but amber. Waiting for an RMA

13. Elliott

Elliott Full Access Member

I followed the instructions posted in this thread

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  14. JasonJ

To be fair to lithium chemistry batteries, look at how many MILLIONS of them are in the wild.. and then consider that if they were truly exploding all over the place, venting with flame as lithiums can do, we'd be hearing about it all the time. Like when that hoverboard thing went on, because of cheap, Chinese knock-off lithium cells.

If left unmodified and undamaged, lithium polymer and lithium ion cells are quite safe.

But the TSA irony is not lost on me... my all stainless Zebra F-701 is a perfectly good impact/piercing weapon. TSA allowed. Victorinox Classic SD on my keychain, no way. Stupid. Lord knows my belt with heavy brass buckle is a decent flail in a pinch.

15. tommudd

tommudd Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Hyper flash is annoying to me, have ran them ( led turns etc ) in the 04 but did it right so no hyper flash.
    For me when I see a vehicle like that I just shake my head and tell myself there is another person too lazy to do it right. Then you wonder what all else he is too lazy to do. :happy175:

16. Jeremy-WI

Jeremy-WI Full Access Member

Hyper flashing might cause someone to have a seizure and crash into you

17. tommudd

In our area there is a lot, well all over this area 1000s of people working on oil and gas lines, drilling etc. I see over 150-200 trucks a day at least with welding beds on them, nicely done , well built , well thought out designs and all with LED lighting. 98% of them have the hyper flash, and I wonder why they would spend so much time designing, fabricating, a nice bed and then just throw lights on without spending 5 minutes more to do it right

18. JasonJ

Honestly, I think a lot of people just simply do not know. They think, throw in LED bulbs, they light up, brighter and use less power. Done.

Even intelligent designers, builders, welders, fabricators, even home electricians... it just isn't an area that they are aware of the nuanced details. They certainly aren't going to spend 20 minutes reading posts after a google search to learn about it.

More concerned with whether they turn on and flash at all, rather than flash correctly.

19. tommudd

Then why do we know about this ? :happy175:

20. JasonJ

Because we are a rare and exceptional example! lol.