Factory Radio Swap Q's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I bought my KJ with a factory cassette player. I'd like to swap it out for a factory Mopar CD deck. I don't want an aftermarket deck. Looking on eBay, I see there are tons available and that they are pretty much interchangable between DaimlerChrysler vehicles.

My question is, will a radio I buy off eBay that was pulled from another vehicle require a security or anti-theft code to be applied to it before it will work in my Jeep?

Also, if I buy a head unit that came out of a vehicle with an Infinity sound system, will it work in my KJ? The way I understand it is that the Infinity system head units are not internally amplified and will not work in anything but an Infinity equipped vehicle.

Any light you guys could shed on the subject would be appreciated. :D

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are correct about the Infinity system not being internally amplified. After I blew out my second door speaker (don't ask lol), I decided to put in some Polk Audios. However, we quickly realized that does require a different HU. I'm not sure why you would want to waste the money on a Mopar replacement HU though when you can buy much higher quality aftermarket decks that offer more expandability and capability. For example, I got my Kenwood through Crutchfield for $140 and it offers iPod, HD Radio, Sirius, and XM capabilities.

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just prefer the stock look. OK, so both questions answered! I need to look for a non-Infinity deck but when I find one it'll work with no anti-theft issues. Thanks guys!

Gentleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is no non infinity deck, they are all the same, what is different is the wire that plug into the back, the amp'd system may have a extra wire or two, but as Marlon said "direct swap. Unplug one, plug in another. Done.", all the plugs are the same

Bob

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is no non infinity deck, they are all the same, what is different is the wire that plug into the back, the amp'd system may have a extra wire or two, but as Marlon said "direct swap. Unplug one, plug in another. Done.", all the plugs are the same

Bob

I'm still not too sure about that. When my aftermarket speakers were getting installed, there was absolutely no possible way to get my speakers to work off of the factory deck which had come with the Infinity system. The front door speakers would not work because, previously, the front Infinty speakers held amps which powered the entire system. After I put in my Polk Audios, it contined to receive signals to power the amps, although obviously there was none. Consequently, I had absoluetly no sound from the front door speakers and had to order my Kenwood deck.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, I have some facts. I have replaced my single cd with a 6-disc changer deck, which btw came from a 2005 dodge truck. Took about 12 1/2 minutes. I took my single cd deck and made a radio to go in my garage. I made a nice box out of wood and got a power supply and made a neat little package. I just have normal speakers hooked up to it. The only way I see that you had a problem is that the radios have a way to "know" if there are amped infinitys installed or not. If you look on ebay you can find the wire harness for these radios and find out the function of each wire by looking at the diagrams. The harness I got to make my radio had wires with labels on them even. The harness is actually for if you would need to reinstall the factor HU after taking out an aftermarket one that needed the wires to be cut. Anyway there are other pins on the connector that aren't used. I guess we would need a wire diagram. The others could just be for the sub and the other things that hook up. Well, hope that helps.

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put the RAH code mp3/cd player (factory) in both my Ram and the wife's Libby. Works great, you can make cd's with like 170-180 tracks on 'em. We love'em.

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome, thanks guys! I just bought one on eBay! Can't wait to get it in. I can't beleive my Liberty came with a CASSETTE player!!