Engine Swap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Calm down, bharney. It's an old thread with old information. :)

Thanks for letting us know that it is possible with parts swapping!

bharney

Reaction score
The 2002 jeep engines are NOT the same as the 04+ engines.

You CANNOT use a newer engine in a 2002 liberty.

You can only use a 2002-2003 3.7 from either a liberty, ram truck, or possiby a dakota.

The reluctor wheel inside the engine on the crankshaft is different and you will not be able to get the computer to set the timing....it will crank and never run.

THIS IS NOT TRUE.

I just took a 2007 motor and placed it in a 2003 Jeep Liberty.
First you must change out the reluctor ring on the crankshaft to the older one.
Second you must replace the toner ring on the camshaft with the older.
Third you must make and install a blocking plate where the egr valve was on the old motor.
Fourth you must remove the bearing in the rear of the crankshaft to allow the older transmission to fit.
Fifth you must use the older intake and connections.
I have done this to my 2003 Jeep Liberty and it works perfectly and drives like new.

Any question please email me at [email protected].

I will be glad to answer any questions about this swap.
Good luck to all of you working on your projects.
I know I searched all over for this information and finally pieced together all the information and it works.
Thanks to those who helped me as well.

Just trying to get the most updated info out there to save people money and time and help somone get their Jeep Liberty back on the road without spending more than they need to.

Last edited:

vegaslightsss

Reaction score
there are kits out there to do this easily. If you buy the timing chain kit from 02/03 it will have the correct ring that bolts onto the crakshaft,then you only the the reluctor kit for the end of the cams,that is the only thing needed to make the newer motors work.Go to youtube and do a search on it,there is like a 10 minute video explaining the whole thing,Very Easy,Well Easy anyway,nothing about the Mercedes Cam Chain design that pleases me,what I would give to be able to bolt in an I-6 4.0 out of a Cherokee

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there are kits out there to do this easily. If you buy the timing chain kit from 02/03 it will have the correct ring that bolts onto the crakshaft,then you only the the reluctor kit for the end of the cams,that is the only thing needed to make the newer motors work.Go to youtube and do a search on it,there is like a 10 minute video explaining the whole thing,Very Easy,Well Easy anyway,nothing about the Mercedes Cam Chain design that pleases me,what I would give to be able to bolt in an I-6 4.0 out of a Cherokee
The 3.7 is a AMC designed engine(based of the 4.7 V8).

shayne

Reaction score
Whats up everyone,

I have a 2002 Jeep Liberty 3.7 V6 and well my engine finally gave out on me. Now instead of actually rebuilding the engine, I rather just swap in a new engine and get it done.

Here is my question:

- I want to know if the 2005 Dodge Ram 3.7 V6 fits my 2002 KJ?

- I want to know if a 2006-2008 Jeep Commander 3.7 V6 fits my 2002 Jeep Liberty?

- I want to know if a Dodge Durango 3.7 V6 fits my 2002 Jeep Liberty?

If anyone knows if they do or if there is a difference, I would greatly appreciate it. I am planning to use the same transmission on my KJ so I want to just swap in the motor and bolt on MY transmission.

Thanks and look foward to hearing what you guys know.
hi hear is a link How to make a 2004 2005 2006 Jeep Liberty 3.7 Engine work in a 2002 or 2003 Jeep Liberty - YouTube that will help you

David Cruz

Reaction score
Have 2002 3.7 four wheel drive jeep liberty, motor just went out, my question to you, would a 2004 or 2005 3.7 dodge Durango will fit in my 2002 jeep liberty,or what I need to make motor fit.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have 2002 3.7 four wheel drive jeep liberty, motor just went out, my question to you, would a 2004 or 2005 3.7 dodge Durango will fit in my 2002 jeep liberty,or what I need to make motor fit.

THIS IS NOT TRUE.

I just took a 2007 motor and placed it in a 2003 Jeep Liberty.
First you must change out the reluctor ring on the crankshaft to the older one.
Second you must replace the toner ring on the camshaft with the older.
Third you must make and install a blocking plate where the egr valve was on the old motor.
Fourth you must remove the bearing in the rear of the crankshaft to allow the older transmission to fit.
Fifth you must use the older intake and connections.
I have done this to my 2003 Jeep Liberty and it works perfectly and drives like new.

Any question please email me at [email protected].

I will be glad to answer any questions about this swap.
Good luck to all of you working on your projects.
I know I searched all over for this information and finally pieced together all the information and it works.
Thanks to those who helped me as well.

Just trying to get the most updated info out there to save people money and time and help somone get their Jeep Liberty back on the road without spending more than they need to.

I believe so.

Last edited:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

The short answer is Yes, you can use that newer block. You can use a 3.7 block up to 2011 - HOWEVER...

You need to make mods to the new block and use parts from your existing engine to make it all work. The link below gives the details:

How-To: Engine Swap Overview

Bob

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only one that will work is from an 02 and early 03 liberty, unless you want to disassemble over 50% of the engine to replace the tone rings.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only one that will work is from an 02 and early 03 liberty, unless you want to disassemble over 50% of the engine to replace the tone rings.

That's what I did. Getting the tone & reluctor ring/EGR plate kit from EngineGuru.com simplifies life tremendously.

Bob

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I did. Getting the tone & reluctor ring/EGR plate kit from EngineGuru.com simplifies life tremendously.

Bob

There is nothing simple about it. You are very close to having the engine completely disassembled. At that point, you would be better off rebuilding it. If the crank reluctor were in two pieces, it would be a different story.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is nothing simple about it. You are very close to having the engine completely disassembled. At that point, you would be better off rebuilding it. If the crank reluctor were in two pieces, it would be a different story.

Um, I'm fully aware of the scope of the project. As the link a couple of posts ago displays I did the swap one year ago this month in my garage using a block from an '07 Dakota into my '03 Libby. I'm intimately familiar with the guts of the 3.7 and though the process is not complicated it does require attention to detail.

Remember - Simple and Easy are not the same thing. I found the process to be straightforward yet intense. I have a good set of mechanics tools but I'm not setup like a machine shop and found the swap very manageable in my two car suburban garage. Several folks here on JeepKJCountry have been here and my garage ain't that special.

If my engine blew today I'd do a swap again in a heartbeat.

Bob

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bob, look at my past projects. I have no problem doing that kind of work, but I do have a problem suggesting to a mediocre or hobby mechanic that it is anything to be considered easy, simple, or requiring anything less than at least halfway competent and mildly experienced. Engine building. That's not a first time project.

Not to mention that most of the bolts are tty, the rods are fracture rods so mixups for a novice are easy, and you need the right tools for the job, or the knowledge to make do with what you have.