Engine rattle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree and it may just be coincidence and not the cause

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Logan Savage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Somethings not adding up . Only a pint low but no oil showing on the dipstick .

Tog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My bad should be 2 pints put wrong info in the the converter

Tog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looked at the mark on the oil bottle there was about 1 litre maybe a little more which my volume converter app says is about 2.1 pints

Logan Savage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you saying that app. 1 quart took it from no oil showing on the dipstick to full ?

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Timing chain kit guaranteed. Had this problem before i got my new engine. Wretched for 5 seconds. Brought back terrible memories

If its been going away when warm, thats the tensioners getting oil pressure. They're bleeding out when shut down

Sent from my SM-N930P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Tog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its quiet when cold and rattles when hot. Rattle doesn't go away with the sepentine belt removed

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its quiet when cold and rattles when hot. Rattle doesn't go away with the sepentine belt removed

Hm, tensioners are all kattywampus then.

JeepinJarhead03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds quite similar to other 3.7s when rev'ed that had failed timing chain hydrollic tensioners and the tensioner arms were slapping.. but

they did it both cold and warm

, if it was mine, due to the recent loss of oil and such, id change the oil and disect the oil filter and be looking in the oil for metal particulate , then pull the valve covers , then the timing chain cover etc in that progression until i found what the issue was

Tog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats sort of the plan i was going to follow i may even drop the sump and check all things from the bottom

Tog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How hard is it to get to the timing cover I have never looked at it

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How hard is it to get to the timing cover I have never looked at it

Remove the water pump then there are 16 bolts around the outside (various lengths though the same bolt size - keep track of where they go.) You'll need to remove the tensioner pulley, power steering pump and a few other goodies but pretty straightforward process.

Hope all goes well for you and it's a simple fix :waytogo:

Bob

Tog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cheers twobob so do I

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remove the water pump then there are 16 bolts around the outside (various lengths though the same bolt size - keep track of where they go.) You'll need to remove the tensioner pulley, power steering pump and a few other goodies but pretty straightforward process.

Hope all goes well for you and it's a simple fix :waytogo:

Bob
Keeping everything in time is the hard part.. if you're going to be in there, replace the guides all tensioners sprockets and chains.

Tog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I pulled the oil filter and drained the sump no particulates in the filter or the sump oil. Refilled with a thicker oil 15w50 and while the rattle is not gone when hot its not as bad anf the really bad rattle when revved is gone both revving up and when revs die which definitely points to the possible hydraulic tensioners failing. Also picked up a stethoscope while at the parts shop the only place you hear the rattle well is on the sump or i think its the bottom of the timing cover from underneath.

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I pulled the oil filter and drained the sump no particulates in the filter or the sump oil. Refilled with a thicker oil 15w50 and while the rattle is not gone when hot its not as bad anf the really bad rattle when revved is gone both revving up and when revs die which definitely points to the possible hydraulic tensioners failing. Also picked up a stethoscope while at the parts shop the only place you hear the rattle well is on the sump or i think its the bottom of the timing cover from underneath.

Its definitely timing component related. Be ready for that.

Tog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep going to a mechanic I dont have the time to do it myself and im over spending my spare time under the jeep