Engine rattle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pulled up to pick up son this afternoon a heard this rattle coming from the engine. Any thoughts would be appreciated. It was a low on oil only checked it a week ago and was fine no oil patches on driveway but level not showing on the dip stick .https://vimeo.com/181456040

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Tog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Engine is 3.7l v6 with 196000 km on it

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Low Oil or not on dipstick bad..really bad news.
I would remove the serpentine belt and start it for a short test, just to eliminate any other accessory rattling and see how it sounds.
Next is an auto stethoscope and see if you can find where most of the general noise is coming from. Top or bottom/ valves, R or L etc..

JeepinJarhead03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the 3.7 isnt known for being tolerant of low oil

that said, LibertyTC pretty much summed it up, the auto belt tensioner is known for making a similar racket when it goes bad(and they only last about 30-45kmi), so best to eliminate possibilities by removing the belt and seeing if the problem persists

but given the circumstance of loss of oil , well. one step at a time right

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good idea a lot of things powered by the belt can cause confusing sounds when they start to fail.

Oil level is worrying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the rattle is only there when hot no sound when engine is cold. It appears that i may have a Leakey rear main seal there is a little oil around the bellhousing to block connection. Seems strange that I didnt get any warning lights for low oil or low oil pressure most other cars i have owned i would have. Maybe a faulty sensor or does oil have to get really low for a warning.

JeepinJarhead03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the oil pressure light only comes on for a loss of pressure and its default when it does go bad is to come on and or throw low/high voltage code

temperature can still affect the accessories , fan clutch, tensioner etc

once those are eliminated, the list is fairly long, and includes everything from the valve train to rod bearings and the cats , all of which may or may not make racket when cold due to the thickeness of the oil, and are much pricier items than a 40 dollar belt tensioner or fan clutch

but if it does make racket with the belt off when warm, then after you put the belt back on youre going to want the stethoscope & possibly a mechanical oil press gauge

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
To test the oil pressure warning light, turn ignition to on position.
The light should remain on, until the engine is started.
I agree it would have been nice if Jeep would have installed a low oil sensor in pan, but they didn't. :shrug:
Rear main seal not fun. Engine or Trans pull to access.:sad72:
Hot clanking not good, low oil aeration= potential rebuild ahead.:whymewhyme:
Still, remove belt when warm for a quick test, and see how it sounds.:icon_wink:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree it would have been nice if Jeep would have installed a low oil sensor in pan, but they didn't. :shrug:
:

In the owners manual it does state to check oil level everytime you put gas in.

Just saying.

Plus it's industry standard that it is okay to burn up to 1qt of oil every 1000 miles.That puts you down 3qts every oil change(recommended 3k OCI's) and if your lazy the engine will lock up before you change the oil.

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To be fair should anyone expect a huge oil loss in a week?
Even going by fill ups .

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might try a thicker oil. And get a good filter on it.
Big deal will be is if the is a pressure switch failure and the level is low aspirating the oil.
When my old crud encrusted engine the oil pickup the warning light would come on and it sounded like hell rattling. In that case fluid was full and the pickup tube was clogged, but the oil filter was doing its job too and was also clogged, when I swapped the oil filter it run good until it clogged again within a few miles.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To be fair should anyone expect a huge oil loss in a week?
Even going by fill ups .

No but it's a good habit to get into.

Statistically a vehicle is a persons 2nd most expensive purchase in there life but at the same time the most neglected.

In 20 years as a Tech I've heard every single excuse and they all are crap.I understand not having the $$$(for large repairs) but that does not give you the right to continue driving that vehicle with no brakes.I've seen people drop $25,000 to remodel there bathroom because they don't like the toilet color but have a heart attach when there $120,000 Mercedes needs tires that cost $1500.

There just is no excuse to not do a quick check of fluids and such once a week.It takes 5mins max for a quick look over and the owners manual shows you exactly where to look and how that even the most non-car person can understand it(has pictures also).

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No but it's a good habit to get into.

Statistically a vehicle is a persons 2nd most expensive purchase in there life but at the same time the most neglected.

In 20 years as a Tech I've heard every single excuse and they all are crap.I understand not having the $$$(for large repairs) but that does not give you the right to continue driving that vehicle with no brakes.I've seen people drop $25,000 to remodel there bathroom because they don't like the toilet color but have a heart attach when there $120,000 Mercedes needs tires that cost $1500.

There just is no excuse to not do a quick check of fluids and such once a week.It takes 5mins max for a quick look over and the owners manual shows you exactly where to look and how that even the most non-car person can understand it(has pictures also).

I get that. I don't think of it that way because I'm always checking fluids.
I've seen perfectly good cars in junk yards sold for scrap for very stupid reasons. Talking Minimal maintenance, me and friend would sometimes flip them if there was a good title.

Tog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As originally stated the oil was only checked a week ago and is checked every week on Saturdays before it gets a bath. It seems to be the rattle is only heard at idle cant hear it under load

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
In the owners manual it does state to check oil level everytime you put gas in.

Just saying.

Plus it's industry standard that it is okay to burn up to 1qt of oil every 1000 miles.That puts you down 3qts every oil change(recommended 3k OCI's) and if your lazy the engine will lock up before you change the oil.
I hear ya Troy but..Jeep could have installed an oil pressure sensor, gosh my sedan sure has one and it is not an off road 4x4!
Do the more modern Jeep have them?

In the OP posters situation of a possible rear main seal blow out, a low oil sensor could save the motor!
Definitely checking oil weekly, or at fill ups is excellent maintenance.
Even tho I check the fluids often, more than weekly, if my Jeep was burning a quart of oil every 1000 miles, I would be looking at stem seals or rings!
I think my Jeep may use a quart every 3500 miles, but I add occasionally, to keep it at the full mark.

Tog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Until now I havent been using any between oil changes.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Until now I havent been using any between oil changes.

Listening to the clip in post #1 seems like something up top. Did you pull the belt and run it briefly after it warms up like recommended by JeepinJarhead03? If not belt related, lash adjusters/rockers maybe? How much oil did you have to add to get it back up to the proper level? Not sure what would cause such a drastic drop but a bad PCV valve can cause some pretty severe oil consumption. Probably not in the acute time-frame you experienced.

Tog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Added about a half litre not sure what that is in imperial. I havent pulled the belt yet working stupid hours hope to do it this afternoon. A top end rattle was my thoughts i will also take a look at the pcv always possible.

Tog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My converter says it about 1 pint

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
My converter says it about 1 pint

Can't imagine running a pint low for a week would cause that much of a problem. Of course low is low and never good but that's only about 10% low.