Engine needed ....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kylejeep

Reaction score
Good luck. I hope you find one.
I think I live about 45 miles east of you. I saw a post where you said you were north of Crowley.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Possibly consider a quality Jasper Rebuilt Engine in Hammond Louisiana with a warranty.
Many Members here have had good success with Jasper engines. Call for a quote (800) 827-7455

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most of these engines experience cylinder head problems before the bottom ends. I would think a good shortblock wouldn't be too difficult to find, and have your heads swapped over.

I think there are some engine revisions over the years that could make for headaches. I believe you want to keep the hunting to 04-older.

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally I don't think a KJ's worth spending all that time, effort & money on, so would suggest getting another one & keeping the present one for parts.

I would spend the effort and time, because the actual parts outlay cost isn't that bad.

I say that relative confidence as i just got through a cylinder head change on ours. The head came from a $500 parts KJ I picked up (blown head gasket).

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It depends on the condition of the rest of the car, if its decent then it's probably worth doing.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
picked up the 06 silver 65th anniversary for $800, with a ton of new parts on it, because it had a dead cylinder. turned out to be a kicked rocker.
the 06 khaki was $700, and it needed plugs to get working right. might have a bad trans (no converter lockup), and may needs cats, which i'll steal from the silver 06 since they were just replaced.

Deb'nKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
somewhere between London & Zunny Deb'n (England)
I think it's perfectly normal to go out and spend under $1,000 on an entire car to use it for nothing more than parts for your current cars.
Me too, but either prices are v. different on each side of The Pond - or prices have gone through the roof in the couple of years since I bought mine (& stopped looking) but I though I'd paid over the odds as there were plenty for around £650 (which, at the time, I think, was, say, $800).

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Me too, but either prices are v. different on each side of The Pond - or prices have gone through the roof in the couple of years since I bought mine (& stopped looking) but I though I'd paid over the odds as there were plenty for around £650 (which, at the time, I think, was, say, $800).
Prices on second hand cars have shot up, probably something to do with the fact nobody wants a new electric one....

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that and anything/everything is like $100k.

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Prices on second hand cars have shot up, probably something to do with the fact nobody wants a new electric one....
I bought my KJ because I was uncomfortable with the price of any new Jeep vehicles.

ArleyKJ

Reaction score
I have an 02 Liberty Limited Edition and I need a 3.7 V6 engine , the last hard freeze took out the block .....
The head gasket blew on my 3.7 V6 2005 Jeep Liberty Sport Edition at 200K. I figured that if I fixed the head gasket, I'd still have a 200k motor.
So I bit the bullet and got a reman from Powertrain Products. I've got 10K on it now and it has performed flawlessly.