Emissions Laws Discussion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kj04libby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah and does not apply to you unless your moving to CA.Remember it requires a state inspection(in CA) and approved.

And did you read my other post? Where I said I can do this in Bama? I have to drive 45 min to do a volunteer inspection. But I can do it

kj04libby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't go by CA rules for your state.

Can if we have the same rules .... And we do. The title is in the process already. And my dad just brought it to my attention that the jeep will never have a salvaged title. Its going straight from standard title to ASSEMBLED. I bought a chassis with a blown motor. Bought all the stuff to put in the chassis. And then apply for inspection. My mom faxed all my receipts of my purchases to the courthouse today. They told me once I'm done drive it there to make sure lights and everything works then I have to drive to Huntsville. 45 mins away. To get Specially constructed certificate for them to say I have to pass emissions for an 85 model motor.

Cherrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mi had tailpipe testing for a few years in the late 80's or early 90's. My 85 Power Ram Snow Commander 318, failed every time. Not a a thing wrong with pick-up. I only drove about 2 miles to work.
To pass the test I had to drive about 20.
I'd go right back after driving around and retake the test. First time it failed testing places had a free estimate to fix to pass.;).

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can if we have the same rules .... And we do. The title is in the process already. And my dad just brought it to my attention that the jeep will never have a salvaged title. Its going straight from standard title to ASSEMBLED. I bought a chassis with a blown motor. Bought all the stuff to put in the chassis. And then apply for inspection. My mom faxed all my receipts of my purchases to the courthouse today. They told me once I'm done drive it there to make sure lights and everything works then I have to drive to Huntsville. 45 mins away. To get Specially constructed certificate for them to say I have to pass emissions for an 85 model motor.

That's pretty cool. Does that make it completely road legal for Alabama?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if indeed the laws are the same you will need all the required emission stuff installed like a air pump,intake heater tube,the '85 computer(functioning correctly),and yes a cat also must be installed.

And yes a '85 GM product with a 350 in it has a PCM and uses OBDI protocol's and yes they will have scanners that can interface with OBDI.So that would mean you'd need the original electronic carb also.

kj04libby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if indeed the laws are the same you will need all the required emission stuff installed like a air pump,intake heater tube,the '85 computer(functioning correctly),and yes a cat also must be installed.

And yes a '85 GM product with a 350 in it has a PCM and uses OBDI protocol's and yes they will have scanners that can interface with OBDI.So that would mean you'd need the original electronic carb also.

I have the original exhaust I pulled it off the truck with mufflers and cats. I guess I have an electronic carb. There were no wires running to it tho. And all I found when taking the truck apart was a small fuse box in the cab and one under the hood. Where would the computer be? I will get it off. Just dont know where its at. Help would be appreciated!

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the original exhaust I pulled it off the truck with mufflers and cats. I guess I have an electronic carb. There were no wires running to it tho. And all I found when taking the truck apart was a small fuse box in the cab and one under the hood. Where would the computer be? I will get it off. Just dont know where its at. Help would be appreciated!
Just follow the data port.

Oh wait I just remember that '85 is the 1st year of TBI so no carb.Yeah this is going to get $$$$ since now you need to TBI inject it with all the sensors and such.

kj04libby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just follow the data port.

Oh wait I just remember that '85 is the 1st year of TBI so no carb.Yeah this is going to get $$$$ since now you need to TBI inject it with all the sensors and such.

I have a carb I promise you that. Could the motor be older? Could the truck be older? I was told 85 but it has a 1 piece hood. And I was told an 85 would a have a two piece. (1 piece being cowl and hood together 2 piece being cowl and hood separate)

streetglideok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You didnt' really see TBI in GM trucks until the late 80s. I want to say 1987? Before that, you would have what I think they called thermotrash, err thermoquads, which were a feedback carb. They had an enrichment valve and computer controls. In the early 80s, I believe it was just quadrajets. Good luck finding one of those sloberjets working correctly, with the shafts not rattling in the housing. Your best bet, would have been an early 90s GM pickup with the 5.7L/350 TBI. Yank the engine harness and ECM, and you would have been golden. Other than throwing a new distributor unit in the thing(the weakest link to the design), it would have started and ran, no choke, no rods to jack with in the carb etc. They didn't win horsepower races, but without swapping axles out on your KJ, you can't have a lot of power anyways.

kj04libby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You didnt' really see TBI in GM trucks until the late 80s. I want to say 1987? Before that, you would have what I think they called thermotrash, err thermoquads, which were a feedback carb. They had an enrichment valve and computer controls. In the early 80s, I believe it was just quadrajets. Good luck finding one of those sloberjets working correctly, with the shafts not rattling in the housing. Your best bet, would have been an early 90s GM pickup with the 5.7L/350 TBI. Yank the engine harness and ECM, and you would have been golden. Other than throwing a new distributor unit in the thing(the weakest link to the design), it would have started and ran, no choke, no rods to jack with in the carb etc. They didn't win horsepower races, but without swapping axles out on your KJ, you can't have a lot of power anyways.

I definitely have a quadrajet although we don't call them quadrajets we say quadrash#t Lol. And I will keep an eye out for an early 90s 350. Will be an easy swap by the time I find one.