Driving in snow icy conditions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr_G

Reaction score
Hey Guys, as you know we dont really have snow in South Africa, but im planning a trip to Lesotho in the winter (June) to go ski, altitude is 3500m above sea level, very steep hills, need 4x4 etc.

What I want to find out from you guys, in which drive mode to I set it? 4 High part time/ 4 High full time? surely not 4 Lo all the way?

Its about 120km drive from the border to our destination (Afriksi)

Thanx guys

GranpaQB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
According to wiki the roads are tarred = 4 high full time. But if the roads are(loose) snowed over or iced = 4 High part time.

streetglideok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Snow and ice covered, the preferred mode would be fulltime 4wd or auto 4wd. Only would need the part time 4wd(locked mode) on dirt, mud, rock etc.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately in northern parts of the USA we've had plenty of experience this year driving in snow...

Agree completely with Street - if you have Full Time use it vs Part Time. Fewer issues with under steer or "push" when going around curves. If no Full Time then by all means use Part Time - 4Lo would actually cause more problems as the additional torque will break traction when you need it most.

Always interesting to hear those in the Southern Hemisphere talk about "winter in June" and "traveling north to warmer locations." I'm sure you say the same when you talk to those in the Northern Hemisphere and they reference their seasons. Great to have folks from around the globe here on JeepKJ! :happy160:

Bob

martin_metal_88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Couldn't get better advice about snow driving than what a canadian can say ;) and the previous comment are just right. Personally I like to keep it on 2WD as long as it's safe to but you might want to use the 4WD full time sooner since you probably don't have snow tire or decent all season tire. I also suggest doing some test in a snowy parking lot to see how your jeep and you react on the snow if you can.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Use full time if you have it and leave it and don't worry about it. Been through 2-3' of snow in 4full time without probs. Don't need 4lo for snow and ice, you'll just break traction. Starting in second can help too!

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Use full time if you have it and leave it and don't worry about it. Been through 2-3' of snow in 4full time without probs. Don't need 4lo for snow and ice, you'll just break traction. Starting in second can help too!
No way to start in 2nd gear with a auto trans KJ,even if you put the selector in 2nd it always starts in 1st then shifts into 2nd.Just clearing that up.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No way to start in 2nd gear with a auto trans KJ,even if you put the selector in 2nd it always starts in 1st then shifts into 2nd.Just clearing that up.

This. Was about to say...

I DO however lock out gears when I slow down. That way I don't lock up the brakes.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was figuring H.J. must have been referring to a manual trans. But then starting out in 2nd would be less helpful.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Also a lot depends on what tires ( tyres) you are running and also tread depth when running in show. From experience some tires absolutely suck in snow while others you hardly need 4 wheel drive to get through

Mr_G

Reaction score
Hahaha great comments guys, well lets start with basics...

Never driven in snow or icy road, we dont have that here...
I have Goodyear Wrangler tyres on with about 80% thread on, in the wet i did loose it once when the rear came out
My 3.7L is auto
have High full time and High part time
The first start of the road is Tarred, and the diamond mines use salt to prep the roads
second bit is gravel roads, and freeze apparently
No snow chains or tyres, and really dont have money as Im spending huge bucks now on engagement ring for the trip...

And yes, we have a short winter, thanks for that cause I hate being cold, our coldest is usually around -3C, for a week or so in July, here are places that doesnt get cold at all over winter. LOL

I must say this forum has helped me with plenty info already since I joined, love it, and all the jeeps on here is so awesome...

martin_metal_88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Goodyear wrangler are not made for snow but will do decent job for you. If temp goes down to a terrible -3C the snow wont be to hard and those tire should grip no problem. Just take your time and be careful, pretty sure you wont even need 4WD ;)
Btw, good luck with the ring and get a third one for the liby :p

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Goodyear wrangler are not made for snow

That depends on the model. If they're SRA's then yes they're crap tires. The Silent Armors are great on snow and ice and I've heard the Duratracs perform well also. Not sure which model of wrangler the OP actually has though.

martin_metal_88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are 4 season tire. Work on snow but not designed for it. Here 4 season tire are not even legal during between December 15 and march 15. And I went with the idea that they don't sell the snow version of the tire in south africa :p but who know XD

hmmrdwn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We just shopped around and bought Goodyear triple treads for sons liberty. He drives all paved roads. We do have snow and ice. Might get dedicated winters next year. The Firestone Destinations that were on it are bad. I know the triple treads probably aren't the best for the liberty. :hidesbehindsofa:

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was able to drive on straight ice and some nasty snow covered roads with worn down Wrangler ST's and I don't have 4WD. I may not have made it up the hills on my first try sometimes but I didn't back off and kept at it. Only time I've been stuck was when I slipped the rear axle over a built up snow turned to ice bank and had to cut my way out. As long as our KJ's have some serious momentum going behind them 4WD isn't really needed.

Being a former Bridgestone Employee I can tell you, each country (market) has its own tires to suit the climate and demands. That goes for all tire manufacturers what they may have as a Wrangler might be an entirely different design we don't see here in the US.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We just shopped around and bought Goodyear triple treads for sons liberty.

Let us know how they work out in the snow. My brother had those on his Subaru, and the v-shape of the tread made the car almost speed up when he hit the brakes in the snow! Yeah they grab in the forward direction, but they didn't when stopping.

hmmrdwn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let us know how they work out in the snow. My brother had those on his Subaru, and the v-shape of the tread made the car almost speed up when he hit the brakes in the snow! Yeah they grab in the forward direction, but they didn't when stopping.

We've had them on three cars, Saab 9-3, minivan and Mazda cx5. The v shaped tread does fantastic channeling away rain and slushy snow. Channeling snow and rain away puts then in contact with road surface for better stopping. May not the best in deep snow or on ice. They can be noisy when worn, but no worse than wranglers open tread pattern.

I can't see the car speeding up when you hit the brakes. ;) sorta defies laws of physics. May not stop as fast though.

Last edited: