2012 KK Limited Jet - Overland Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rujero

Emergency Services
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I just purchased a 2012 Liberty Limited Jet. It’s only got 66k miles on it. It’s very clean, but I’m not a chrome trim and 20” wheel kind of guy. I almost purchased a Renegade trim with this really cool "sky slider" feature... and luckily did my research before I did.

I joined the JeepForum.com site and have been browsing the KK sub category but I am looking to get into forums more specific to what I am driving.

Off roading in the traditional sense is not a high priority for me. I do, however need to get about 30 miles in any possible weather with road conditions that may be experiencing flooding, broken asphalt, and two feet of snow with a bed of hail on the bottom. New England winters are rough and there are no snow days in my line of work. I guess I am more interested in building something with an Overlander's mentality. Planned mods are as follows:

1. All weather / all condition tires: based on feedback from many people I am going with BFGoodrich KO2’s. I ordered 17” wheels but nothing is finalized yet. Part of me thinks I should throw some 16” steelies on there but I am open to suggestions for a black or gunmetal colored alloy wheel.

2. Auxiliary lighting and LED bulbs: I have used PIAA lighting in the past and I ordered large LED lamps with long range beam patterns. I am doing research into replacing my low beam bulbs with white LEDs and the built in fog lights within the housing with yellow LEDs. Has anyone done this bulb conversion?

3. Body Protection: Tail light cages, brush guards or minimally a bull bar to mount the PIAA's to. There don't seem to be a lot of options for brush or bull guards from what I can tell. I also want to get flexible mud flaps. Undercarriage protection such as skid plates are not a high priority as I have no intention of rock crawling.

4. Crossbars and roof-top storage options: Thule crossbars and a Box are on the list at some point. I love the look of a basket but I don’t know that I want to deal with the wind noise and inability to cover what’s up there. I would have made an exception for a Gobi rack but it seems they don't make them for a Liberty.

5. Lift: somewhere down the line I would like to lift the Liberty either 1.5” or 2” for better water fording ability through paved, flooded roads.

6. Tow Package: I have a class 3 hitch being installed Thursday to tow the motorcycles around :p

7. Recovery Points: What is the best way to either access or install additional tow hooks or other access points for recovering both myself and if need be another vehicle?

8. Aesthetically speaking, I would like to wrap the chrome grill moulding and other trim in matte black and install the black out hood decal that the Renegade trim had on it.

Thanks in advance for the advice and input!

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you have quite the KK list going on!
Water fording, you may have to extend case breathers up higher.
New England snow & two feet. Yes I would be thinking about a spring lift and radial chains as a back up. Always carry a good steel shovel in winter with some sand is good.
Once you have the class 3 hitch installed you can use a drop bar etc & clevis with a good tow strap,for the rear.
I am a KJ owner, but there must be factory tow hooks as well for the front of the KK.
Hopefully other KK owners can comment on LED headlight bulbs in your KK reflectors, myself I just use Sylvania ZXE Xenon filled.
If I had the extra $ I would like a winch mounted and a Rigid Industries LED light bar!
Anyways, I thought I would say hello and hope other KK owners may now chime in! :)
Post a few pics when you can!

rujero

Emergency Services
Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcome! Heres a photo of the Jeep as it is now. It's definitely a long list but with winter coming up fast I need to prioritize increased traction and visibility first. Looking forward to more discussion as the project evolves.

Attachments

• PI8NtOB4Qyqvqm4w6jDgmg_thumb_1b9b.jpg
    PI8NtOB4Qyqvqm4w6jDgmg_thumb_1b9b.jpg
    305.4 KB · Views: 14

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Very clean KK and I like the blue color. I think my KJ would be jealous.

rujero

Emergency Services
Reaction score
New wheels and tires... definitely changes the look a bit, huh?

Attachments

• jeep angle post.jpg
    jeep angle post.jpg
    697.1 KB · Views: 11
  • jeep rear angle post.jpg
    jeep rear angle post.jpg
    757 KB · Views: 10
  • jeep side post.jpg
    jeep side post.jpg
    656.4 KB · Views: 8
Last edited: