Driving in snow icy conditions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hmmrdwn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bridgestone Dueler 422 Ecopia is better.

Yeah, I used to love Bridgestone. Lately I haven't been as impressed. Interesting to look at the slalom, lap and braking. The triple tread is okay. Bridgestone would be great option...I'm friends with a Goodyear guy and get great prices though.

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In all honesty I can not tolerate Goodyear for the life of me. Mainly because how weak their sidewalls are compared to most other brands. I really hate the Wranglers I have on my Jeep right now. I can not wait to get them off and get either Firestone or Bridgestone on there, I just haven't made my decision if I want to do a full size swap for Outlined White Letter A/T Tires or if I want to paint White Letters on my standard size. And before you ask my top two choices I'm thinking of are the Destination A/T's which swapping to alternate size of 235/70R16 come OWL or if I want to do one of other favorite the Duravis MD700 HD Black Wall in standard 225/75R16.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I'd run on the rims before I'd run Bridgestones, never did like them never will.
I had the rights to sell them but talked folks out of them when I had tire shops.
Also depending on which tires you are talking about, Goodyears sidewalls are as tough as any, now if you're talking the stock tires then yes junk.

hmmrdwn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I understand the hate for certain brands of tires. You really have to search to find a good all around tire. The liberty comes oem with a wacky size too. I'd change but this is my sons car and we dont want to stick the extra cash in new rims. Wife had geolanders on her cx5 that we crap in snow. The auto companies are all going to low rolling resistance crap tires to meet EPA mpg. Thin walled low traction carcasses.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Some you guys throw around the words Goodyear Wrangler as if it was the name of a specific tire.

Wrangler is a brand comprised of a multitude of individual tires all of varying purpose and quality. To name a few.....

Silent Armor
AT/S
RT/S
SR-A
ST
HP
MTR with Kevlar
DuraTrac
Radial (235/75R15 only)

I've held that in for a few years ....lmao ... now back to our regularly scheduled discussion.

/Rant

hmmrdwn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to pick nits and understand the wrangler stuff...though wrangler is product line. You are right in the fact there are subtle differences that make a big difference.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Not sure if I understand your point.. but there is nothing subtle about the difference btwn an ST and an MTR. ;)

You must be registered for see images

hmmrdwn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure if I understand your point.. but there is nothing subtle about the difference btwn an ST and an MTR. ;)

Nice catch subtle isn't the best word...sorta like calling Wrangler a brand. Thanks for making the point. Goodyear is the brand.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Local tire shops say they were popular for a while and now everyone is using 17"-18" tires.
Well with over 75 million(maybe more then that) vehicles made in the last 15 years that came with those sizes stock I'd say there pretty popular tire size and will be for years to come.

235/70R16 is our most stocked tire size at work.

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While it may be a popular size, I think it depends on where you are. The "good" tire store here considers it an odd ball size and doesn't carry many and the other tire store doesn't carry that size at all.

Sent from my HTC One using the power of Mary's purse

martin_metal_88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well with over 75 million(maybe more then that) vehicles made in the last 15 years that came with those sizes stock I'd say there pretty popular tire size and will be for years to come.

235/70R16 is our most stocked tire size at work.

Pretty different from place to place. When I bought my tire 2 winter ago almost no one stocked 235 :( and they where a lot more expensive due to that. So I bought the more common over here 225. That being said, I agree that those are 2 very common size of tire and there's no way some one should tell they are not popular anymore.

hmmrdwn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While it may be a popular size, I think it depends on where you are. The "good" tire store here considers it an odd ball size and doesn't carry many and the other tire store doesn't carry that size at all.

Sent from my HTC One using the power of Mary's purse
I agree. Maybe there are places where new car buyers covet 16" rims. Just not around us.

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Understand the reason a lot of main stream tire stores say sizes like this are whacky is due to the fact most of those tires are directed to the dealerships. For instance I'll use this as a big reference the size on the Altima for the 16 inch is 205/65R16 almost no shop will usually have something in that size and more often its limited to a specific tire brand such as Continental or Michelin, most cases I would just bump tire size to 215/60R16, which is usually stocked all the time so I wouldn't have to order tires and lose the sale. That really helped me make some big bucks on a couple blizzards we had. It often takes time for other brands to make tires in that size to reach their stores, usually when a new size comes out it can take up to years for that to happen so there is a main stream supply. Reason why is what is produced will go to dealerships and the assembly plants to be put on the vehicle before going to the store.

hmmrdwn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Understand the reason a lot of main stream tire stores say sizes like this are whacky is due to the fact most of those tires are directed to the dealerships. For instance I'll use this as a big reference the size on the Altima for the 16 inch is 205/65R16 almost no shop will usually have something in that size and more often its limited to a specific tire brand such as Continental or Michelin, most cases I would just bump tire size to 215/60R16, which is usually stocked all the time so I wouldn't have to order tires and lose the sale. That really helped me make some big bucks on a couple blizzards we had. It often takes time for other brands to make tires in that size to reach their stores, usually when a new size comes out it can take up to years for that to happen so there is a main stream supply. Reason why is what is produced will go to dealerships and the assembly plants to be put on the vehicle before going to the store.
Makes sense. I hear you about not liking Goodyears too. I didn't but them for a long time because there were better options out there for the same price. I wouldn't have bought the triple treads if not for the smoking price.

Latest posts

Members online