Driveline, Transmission Clunk

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kena

Reaction score
This is my first post and I thought I would share this info I have discovered. My 2006 had a clunk when transmission shifts especially when going into overdrive or lockup. I fixed mine be removing the rear driveshaft and lubricating the slip joint with ANTI-SEIZE thread lubricant type 13. This stuff is available at most all parts stores. Hope this helps someone with this problem. Just grease works for a while but won't last. From what I gather this slip joint hangs up and then lets go causing the clunk. The anti-seize lubricant keeps that from happeining. Good luck with your clunk!

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hate the clunk... but not so much to take the jeep apart to lubricate it..

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine did that when i first got it, for about a week. It had been sitting on the used lot for a month or two and i imagine it just got stuck in place from sitting so long. After a week of regular driving it hardly ever does it now, every now and then i can hear the slightest tap when it downshifts at a stop sign, but thats about it.

Good to know though!! If it gets worse i know how to fix it. Lube her up!! :)

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine clunks every now and then too. I notice it does it more so If I don't press the brakes with some decent pressure while shifting. I used to have a clunky shift into 2nd gear from time to time but The ****** flash fixed that.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine did that for a long time but its seems to have stopped now. I drive in tons of traffic and I guess it just kinda faded away. I didnt even notice it stopped. Maybe the splines seized up. :D