Diff and axle hunting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JRB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice! (pictures link worked for me)

Did you order your spartan helical for the front? I've heard they're pretty streetable when used in the front as long as 4wd is disengaged, I was considering going this route too. I don't mind some clicky-clack noises, when they're supposed to happen lol.

Do you have a part # for the one you ordered by chance? A while ago wherever I looked it stated fits the kj 'dana 30' without saying 'dana 30a', and never followed up to ask the seller if it would truely fit.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice! (pictures link worked for me)

Did you order your spartan helical for the front? I've heard they're pretty streetable when used in the front as long as 4wd is disengaged, I was considering going this route too. I don't mind some clicky-clack noises, when they're supposed to happen lol.

Do you have a part # for the one you ordered by chance? A while ago wherever I looked it stated fits the kj 'dana 30' without saying 'dana 30a', and never followed up to ask the seller if it would truely fit.
It's actually the spartan helical diff, similar in functionality to a detroit truetrac, no pippity popping. About $250 on Amazon right now. Some sources say no fit while others say it does so I'll let you know as soon as I do. I did notice in my research that some jk's take the same dtt part number as our kj's so chances are good. Of course it's gonna arrive while I'm on vacation for 2 weeks, so it'll be a while.

JRB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's actually the spartan helical diff, similar in functionality to a detroit truetrac, no pippity popping. About $250 on Amazon right now. Some sources say no fit while others say it does so I'll let you know as soon as I do. I did notice in my research that some jk's take the same dtt part number as our kj's so chances are good. Of course it's gonna arrive while I'm on vacation for 2 weeks, so it'll be a while.

Thanks, good info, this will be something months down the road for me. I never planned on adding any limited slip thinking the price would be wild, but not as bad as I thought.

Yeah, my brain saw spartan and went there, not knowing helical was the style of lsd. Really cool looking design, looks like easier going with how you can drive with them I'd guess too.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Though you folks might lome to see the bent donor axle. Also my spartan diff arrived today, just in time for me to go on family vacation for 2 weeks. So there won't be any progress on this for a bit. But don't worry I'll still be around to make obnoxious comments here and there.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My oldest daughter went ahead and gave birth to my first grandchild without considering my travel plans or work needed on the jeep, so I'll be putting things of another week at least...She's so inconsiderate but my granddaughter is super cute so I'm gonna let it slide this time.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have not given up on this project. I've just run out of money from all my travels. Plus when I showed up at my daughter's house I found their kitchen cabinets in the living room still in boxes. Then she tells me they have counter top guy coming to template in less than a week. Not sure what happened to their cabinet installer so that became me. They "had" very minimal tools, had being the key word. So after a little time I'll have recouped money for tools to finish up my diffs. Still gonna cost far less than paying someone else labor costs, and I'll have neat tools I'll seldom use...win win. And as a bonus daughter's family now has some decent tools for future projects.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
backlash came in at .007 of an inch and pattern looks great! Ready for installation, unfortunately I haven't got the required parts for the rear other than the ring and pinion gears. So once again I'll be testing my patience.

JRB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
backlash came in at .007 of an inch and pattern looks great! Ready for installation, unfortunately I haven't got the required parts for the rear other than the ring and pinion gears. So once again I'll be testing my patience.

Looks awesome, especially with that helical in there! I hear ya on the patience part, my junkyard 4.10 front diff housing stares at me every time I go to get into my jeep wondering when the day will be.

My stock 3.55 housings drain was a machine thread with built in o-ring/gasket, and the one I got from a diesel is a tapered fit/no o-ring gasket like my tra.nny fill and drain. I don't know if it was something they just changed over the years, or if diesels got the different one. Did yours have any differences that you noticed?

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks awesome, especially with that helical in there! I hear ya on the patience part, my junkyard 4.10 front diff housing stares at me every time I go to get into my jeep wondering when the day will be.

My stock 3.55 housings drain was a machine thread with built in o-ring/gasket, and the one I got from a diesel is a tapered fit/no o-ring gasket like my tra.nny fill and drain. I don't know if it was something they just changed over the years, or if diesels got the different one. Did yours have any differences that you noticed?
No difference I have noticed both are tapered fit I think. I pulled the donor axle out of an '04 4cyl and it's going into an '05 6 cyl. I haven't pulled the axle out of the '05 yet, figured I could get the donor all built up then drop it in. I thought the only differences were in the mounting brackets to move diffrential housing left or right for different engines.

JRB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No difference I have noticed both are tapered fit I think. I pulled the donor axle out of an '04 4cyl and it's going into an '05 6 cyl. I haven't pulled the axle out of the '05 yet, figured I could get the donor all built up then drop it in. I thought the only differences were in the mounting brackets to move diffrential housing left or right for different engines.

I would say you are correct, I've had the broken one pulled out since I found out about it, and the two sitting next to each other look identical minus the drain plug so far.

Other than take the one out and buy the other I haven't done much with them, so I figured I'd check if there was any unforseen things I had to prepare for.

JRB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The aluminum housings are the same, but they do make separate diff carriers to hold different gears, at least for open carriers (maybe others too?).

There's a diff carrier for 3.55 and higher gears (lower numbers) and a diff carrier for the 3.73 and lower gears (higher numbers)

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A couple of years ago I swapped out my rear diff with a junkyard donor.
I paid $150 for mine.

Like you I replaced the axle seals & bearings. Replaced the brake rotors & pads.
I don't recall replacing the pinion bearing but I did replace the pinion seal.

I'm surprised that you were able to find a 4.10 diff.
Four cylinder Liberty's are a rarity here too.

So do you have an update for us duderz7 on your repairs?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
The aluminum housings are the same, but they do make separate diff carriers to hold different gears, at least for open carriers (maybe others too?).

There's a diff carrier for 3.55 and higher gears (lower numbers) and a diff carrier for the 3.73 and lower gears (higher numbers)
SO FEW with 3.55s its really not worth discussing really
just a few manuals

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I paid $150 for mine.

Like you I replaced the axle seals & bearings. Replaced the brake rotors & pads.

Not that hard to find I have 3 extra sets ( front and rear ) plus the ones I am running

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I paid $150 for mine.

I went to over a dozen yards and looked at around 40-50 kj's before I found one 4cyl on cars-parts.com over 4 hours away.
No further updates since my last post this morning.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I've decided while I'm in this deep on my front end and already replacing or rebuilding nearly every ball joint and bushing I'd go all in and replace front lca bushing also. Ordered some Moogs, and Tenneco (made in Mexico) bushings came out of the Moog box which states made in Turkey. I don't like the look of them. The inner sleeve is essentially a large roll pin, I prefer a solid sleeve. Anyone have other suggestions? I'm considering crown, duralast, or masterpro. The Last two would at least be an easy return if they are no good.

Also on a side note. I emailed creative steel today and suggested they consider making the clevis bushing for us weirdos.

More progress and pictures on this project coming soon.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2 steps forward one step back it seems. Got the diff out and put in poly rack bushings. Took a look around while it's wide open and now I'm shopping for engine mounts. They're not horrible. I'm considering pulling them and filling the voids with polyurethane, or at least fill the new ones.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Diff brackets ready to go back in. Here's that engine mount I mentioned earlier.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.