Diff and axle hunting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
popped out the old and popped in the new axle bearings and seals while it was actively snowing. It was fun trying to keep snow out of the axle tubes. At least it warmed up to 17°. Sorry about the limited pictures lately. No too concerned about taking pictures when I can't feel my fingertips.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I discovered that my rear uca contacts the mount at the body about 2 inches before my shock tops out. Not necessarily a bad thing, but it'll be interesting to see how different it will be with the new uca.

JRB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I discovered that my rear uca contacts the mount at the body about 2 inches before my shock tops out. Not necessarily a bad thing, but it'll be interesting to see how different it will be with the new uca.

Nice upgrade.
Similar to the jba uca's for the front, does the IRO rear upper sit at an angle that's more favorable to lifts?

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The body side mounts are angled for lift snd length is adjustable at axle. I've quite got it installed yet due to other activities, but should have it in tomorrow. Stay tuned.

Reactions: JRB

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I had other things come up. But I did end up getting the IRO uca installed, but it was plenty dark and cold by then. I'll add pictures tomorrow.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did a driveway eye ball alignment, driving much better now. I'll get it properly aligned after a handful of short trips and bumps to settle it a bit.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Played with the alignment more today as it was easy to see it had too much positive camber even after maxing out both cam adjusters. I was running the jba ball joints mounted to the bottom of the control arms to keep spring contact from happening. This of course kept the arms higher thereby causing the camber issue. I switched them back to the top, the way jba intended which fixed the camber issue and it drives way better. I figured I could have spaced the suspension cradle to compensate, but figured it'd be better and easier to move back towards stock height than adding more complexity. I'll be reducing clevis lift later this month when my cv boot arrives. Who needs 3.75 inches of lift anyway.

Also learned something else I forgot to mention earlier. The rear IRO uca allows 2 more inches of axle droop over stock measured at the spring seats. And even more flex when one wheel is stuffed and the other unweighted. So much so in fact that I'll have to extend or lower rear brake line. And my rear springs (948's) 2 extra upper iso's reach a point of zero tension. Not enough to fall out but more than I like. It's unlikely I'd ever see this situation in the real world, but I may do a temporary shock mount mod to limit extension. I'm currently running bilstein 33-185859 (be5-a702) which have an extended length of roughly 25.25 inches compared to the more popular 24-185240 that aren't quite 25 inches fully extended. If I had the later I probably wouldn't be even considering messing with it.

Thanks for sticking around. Loving the 4.10's, IRO, and all the other fresh bits and pieces so far. However I have very limited drive time on it.

Doing10to20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Played with the alignment more today as it was easy to see it had too much positive camber even after maxing out both cam adjusters. I was running the jba ball joints mounted to the bottom of the control arms to keep spring contact from happening. This of course kept the arms higher thereby causing the camber issue. I switched them back to the top, the way jba intended which fixed the camber issue and it drives way better. I figured I could have spaced the suspension cradle to compensate, but figured it'd be better and easier to move back towards stock height than adding more complexity. I'll be reducing clevis lift later this month when my cv boot arrives. Who needs 3.75 inches of lift anyway.

Also learned something else I forgot to mention earlier. The rear IRO uca allows 2 more inches of axle droop over stock measured at the spring seats. And even more flex when one wheel is stuffed and the other unweighted. So much so in fact that I'll have to extend or lower rear brake line. And my rear springs (948's) 2 extra upper iso's reach a point of zero tension. Not enough to fall out but more than I like. It's unlikely I'd ever see this situation in the real world, but I may do a temporary shock mount mod to limit extension. I'm currently running bilstein 33-185859 (be5-a702) which have an extended length of roughly 25.25 inches compared to the more popular 24-185240 that aren't quite 25 inches fully extended. If I had the later I probably wouldn't be even considering messing with it.

Thanks for sticking around. Loving the 4.10's, IRO, and all the other fresh bits and pieces so far. However I have very limited drive time on it.
Very nice..I'm doing the iro after my Utah trip unfortunately wouldve loved to be able to flex out there but I'm excited to get more flex in the rear end..between that and the locker itll be a weapon crawling over shit

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very nice..I'm doing the iro after my Utah trip unfortunately wouldve loved to be able to flex out there but I'm excited to get more flex in the rear end..between that and the locker itll be a weapon crawling over shit
Should be able to crawl over much more than feces...unless you're thinking elephant mounds? Have you the size of those heaps?

Latest posts

Members online