Did I screw up? Trans/4wd LO

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smarkham

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been reading all the great advice that I've been given. Remember...this is my first 4wd car...and second car ever :)

2005 automatic sport, 3.7 liter.

The first night I got my KJ I was playing around with all the cool controls. While I had my jeep in park I pulled the 4wd lever from 2hi to 4hi to N to 4Lo --I went all the way to 4LO w/o putting the ****** in Neutral. I haven't felt anything differently but then again I haven't put the KJ into 4LO yet.

Could I have caused any damaged by not putting the ****** in N?

THANKS

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I did the same thing when I was test-driving (by myself) my 2005 automatic sport, 3.7 liter.

No harm done that I'm aware of. My fiance is now scared of the lever though, because I keep warning her what will happen if she doesn't use it properly ;)

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nah, you're fine. As far as I know, the reason you don't want to do it when in gear and moving is that you'll grind the T-Case.

If you can pull it when stopped and in park, cool. Otherwise, the reason for pulling it when rolling slowly and in neutral is that the input shaft of the T-case isn't moving (due to being in N), and with it rolling slowly the output shafts of the T-case are being moved by the axles - this will help align the T-case. Rolling fast in N and doing it will probably also grind.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard some cases grind while out on the trails. My first time out, I don't know what this XJ was doing, I was just waiting for that thing to fall out of the vehicle, it sounded godawful. It wasn't a 1 time thing.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well if you do that often enough the teeth on the gears get damaged and they will grind always before they 'grab' eachother. ( suppose it works like a regular syncro? )

I don't think there is any syncro in 4lo??? That is why you need to be stopped or barely moving.

I never thought of engagueing it in park as the OP did, but now that I think about it I don't see how it would do any damage since everything is stopped.

The only bad thing I can think of at the moment is if you could somehow get it in 4lo while you were driving you would probably blow something for sure. That's why it is set up so you can't just "bump" it into 4lo by accident.

Dave

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nah, if you got it in gear that easy, you are fine. when you move it when you shouldn't, you will know