Definitive front CV and intermediate shaft testing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RenKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, Im hunting down a harmonic "thumping" or "thudding" sound on my front passenger side.

I've gone as far as re-torquing my UCA upper bolts and pulling my front drive shaft, the thumping seems to happen specifically when im coasting and doesn't seem to happen if the vehicle is leaning to the driver side. More recently it starts up even as I'm still letting off the gas.

Does this sound like right side CV or intermediate? I don't seem to have play in my passenger side CV but my half shaft connection does wobble a little bit. Is there a good way to test the intermediate? I've tried free spinning the tires and cant see or hear anything unusual.

I'm due for an alignment this friday morning so really hoping to sort this out before then

Any advice appreciated

nogoldformarfa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is going to sound ridiculous but fwiw recently I had something very similar going on with the passenger side front tire making a weird sound like this. Turned out that the lugs on that wheel were not tightened Completely.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Is there a lot of slop where the passenger side CV and intermediate shaft meet up? Some play is ok but there shouldn't be a lot.

When my intermediate shaft went, at highway speeds it sounded and felt like a tire out of balance.

RenKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't believe it was my wheels, i was so ****** confused because my CVs are solid as ****, i can't believe i forgot to fully torque my ******** wheels. I have a drive shaft to reinstall and a length of rope to go buy...

RenKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is going to sound ridiculous but fwiw recently I had something very similar going on with the passenger side front tire making a weird sound like this. Turned out that the lugs on that wheel were not tightened Completely.

It was rediculous and thats why i never even tried checking my wheel torque, i was torquing my whole front end and it was my ******** wheels lmao

nogoldformarfa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was rediculous and thats why i never even tried checking my wheel torque, i was torquing my whole front end and it was my ******** wheels lmao

Lol I know your pain. Glad you got it worked out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I can't believe it was my wheels, i was so ****** confused because my CVs are solid as ****, i can't believe i forgot to fully torque my ******* wheels. I have a drive shaft to reinstall and a length of rope to go buy...

Enough cussing should of fixed them, do not appreciate that at all
No need for it on any forum , sorry but that is the way it is
We have peoples children, religious people etc. on here, be kind to others

Last edited:

Mangate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a huge amount of play where the cv shaft meets the intermediate shaft and have had for a long time, even though I only have 75,000 miles.
I get an intermittent groan at low speed which sounds to me like a wheel bearing, although I can feel zero lash in the bearing.
Anyone experience anything like this?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk