Dash cam without a display

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HatterMT

Reaction score
Good evening all!

Does anyone have a lead on a decent dashcam, DVR, without a screen? and/or a composite video out port? I have rear view mirror with 2 video inputs, I have a backup camera on one and was thinking that I want a DVR but I don't want the extra screen.

It doesn't need to hook up to a monitor, just looking for recommendations.

Thanks from Montana!

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good evening all!

Does anyone have a lead on a decent dashcam, DVR, without a screen? and/or a composite video out port? I have rear view mirror with 2 video inputs, I have a backup camera on one and was thinking that I want a DVR but I don't want the extra screen.

It doesn't need to hook up to a monitor, just looking for recommendations.

Thanks from Montana!

Until I read your detailed requirements, I was going to suggest the no-screen dash cam I have.. but it does not have video output ports.. it outputs it's video via private wifi to a phone or tablet for viewing or download.

So given that.. not sure. Google searches didn't find anything?

HatterMT

Reaction score
Until I read your detailed requirements, I was going to suggest the no-screen dash cam I have.. but it does not have video output ports.. it outputs it's video via private wifi to a phone or tablet for viewing or download.

So given that.. not sure. Google searches didn't find anything?

Which one do you have? The video out isn't a deal breaker just a nice feature.

Thanks for the reply!

mrlavalamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
blackvue dr750.

Output over app via wifi, and you can also remove the sd card and drop it into a usb adapter. I believe that this is much easier than the app/wifi for me because I can actually transfer the files and DO something with it(save it, send it, strip the details and post it to imgur etc.).

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
blackvue dr750.

Output over app via wifi, and you can also remove the sd card and drop it into a usb adapter. I believe that this is much easier than the app/wifi for me because I can actually transfer the files and DO something with it(save it, send it, strip the details and post it to imgur etc.).

Oh Lord that's a pricey unit! Nice one though!

For what it's worth, you can also move the micro SD card from the cam I have and copy the files from it to a computer as well, and output over app via wifi, save to phone/tablet.

It takes a bit to transfer the video over wifi though, it's slightly faster than real-time, which is why I change the settings to limit my video segments to 1 minute blocks instead of 3 mins.

Of course, my cam is only a $50-$60 dash cam.. so some limitations are to be expected.

mrlavalamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah. we got a couple cheap ones and the heat here just melts them on the first warm day (not even summer).

None of the other brands have lasted, but mostly it was cheap nonames.

Viofo is another brand that comes highly recommended but I dont care for them at all but that is mainly because they are MASSIVE and take up too much windshield realestate.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah. we got a couple cheap ones and the heat here just melts them on the first warm day (not even summer).

None of the other brands have lasted, but mostly it was cheap nonames.

Viofo is another brand that comes highly recommended but I dont care for them at all but that is mainly because they are MASSIVE and take up too much windshield realestate.

I hear ya.. I was more concerned with the cold here... the brand I got (which was a gift from my brother) is heavily used in places like Russia, and the Russians love their dashcams, and their sub-zero weather.

The B1W is very small, about the size of a round BiC lighter, I can't even see it behind my rearview mirror.