Dana 30a front axle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joe W

Reaction score
Hello all, just bought a new Libby 1 month ago and I was wondering if someone could tell me if my front axle is always engaged or vacuum operated like my old GMC Sonoma....couldn't find a lot of info on dana 30a axle.....from what I could find,I'm thinking and hoping that it's always in and of course,4WD is switched in & out by the transfer case.....please verify,Thanks,Joe W

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all, just bought a new Libby 1 month ago and I was wondering if someone could tell me if my front axle is always engaged or vacuum operated like my old GMC Sonoma....couldn't find a lot of info on dana 30a axle.....from what I could find,I'm thinking and hoping that it's always in and of course,4WD is switched in & out by the transfer case.....please verify,Thanks,Joe W

NO hubs and NO vacume stuff
if you jack up the front and spin the front D/S with the KJ in park it will spin and so will the front tires

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep the front is always locked in so you are turning the gears in the front axle all the time,there is no way to unlock the front unless you spend big$$$$ making custom front hubs with lockouts.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think you can buy a new 4wd today with manual locking hubs? Can you?? If so they are rare. I think I miss them.

Dave

Joe W

Reaction score
Thank you all so much,it made my day !!!...I'd rather have all those parts spinning anyway...don't have to worry about vacuum system failure...one time in the old Sonomer,engaged 4WD in snow....front axle took a few seconds to engage and then bang !..hello 4WD Thanx Again,Joe W

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online