CV or Wheel Bearing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeep-I-Joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In Memphis, TN where there is more mud than mounta
I have a noise coming from the front driver side. Every rotation of the wheel comes with a chirp or squeek. It is most audible when the wheel first starts moving and becomes barely audible above 30 mph. I've checked for play in the wheel while on jacks. There was no movement. I'm used to a clicking sound if it's the CV. But, in this case the clicking sound is replaced by a squeek. I would think it was a bushing if the sound didn't match wheel rotation. What do you think guys?kopkrab.gif

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Wonder if it might be a warped rotor or sticking caliper?
Does it go away when u apply the brake?

mag03kj

Banned
Reaction score
I say the bearing! Say thing happend to my 02 ranger. I replaced the bearing and it fixed it!

Jeep-I-Joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wonder if it might be a warped rotor or sticking caliper?
Does it go away when u apply the brake?

I considered that. It is making the sound with or without the break being applied. I have new slotted rotors on hand that I purchased for better breaking. I was waiting for the old pads to expire before putting them on.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even with no play on the wheel and no vibration at any speed? I was hoping it was the CV ($60 for a CV or $210 for a Bearing and Hub Assembly).
A unit bearing just starting to go will make noise and may/may not have play.

To eliminate the brakes take off with the brake pedal applied just a little bit,just enough to provide some resistance, and if the noise remains then it is not in the brakes and then most likely the unit bearing.

Jeep-I-Joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A unit bearing just starting to go will make noise and may/may not have play.

To eliminate the brakes take off with the brake pedal applied just a little bit,just enough to provide some resistance, and if the noise remains then it is not in the brakes and then most likely the unit bearing.

I'll do the break check when I get home.

Another bit a information that could be helpful: This same sound has been present for the last 1000 miles. There has been no change in intensity or volume. I'm used to bearings getting degenaratively worse over time.

If it is the bearing, I want to replace it right away. I don't play with catastrophic failure. I've just been doubting that it was the bearing. I'm taking the thing apart this weekend. Is there a way to tell whether it's the CV once you get it off the Jeep? I know how a bearing feels when it is going out and I'll check that as well.

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have something very similar going on with my '03 with 87,000 miles on it.

I have this slight chirping that I can only hear with the windows up, and everything turned off(radio, heater, etc.). It appears to completely go away between 25-30 mph.

I've been trying to pin point where the noise is coming from for the past six months, but it's been very difficult. It's gotten worse over time, but not much.

I'm stumped because it only does it while the vehicle is rolling, not stationary. That tells me it's nothing to do with the engine, but rather the suspension or drivetrain. It does't appear to be rythmic or isolated to going over a bump, so I don't know what to think.

So far I've checked all the bushings and it's still there. My next thought was either the front driveshift, or wheel bearings. I'm thinking about pulling the front driveshaft to see if it goes away. If not, then it's gotta be a wheel bearing.

mag03kj

Banned
Reaction score
Even with no play on the wheel and no vibration at any speed? I was hoping it was the CV ($60 for a CV or $210 for a Bearing and Hub Assembly).

Yes on my 02 ranger there was no play! I replaced the inner and outer bearing!

Jeep-I-Joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have something very similar going on with my '03 with 87,000 miles on it.

I have this slight chirping that I can only hear with the windows up, and everything turned off(radio, heater, etc.). It appears to completely go away between 25-30 mph.

That is exactly it. It doesn't sound like a bearing though. I think I'll just have to take the whole thing apart. I guess this would be a good time to do a lift!(woot) I mean, while I'm in there taking the whole driver side apart anyway...:D

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No major surgery to change a hub bearing,takes longer to jack up the wheel and take the wheel off then remove the hub bearing.

You will need a E12 or E14(can't off hand remember which one) to remove the 3 hub bearing bolts,and of course a 35mm socket for the hub nut.

Jeep-I-Joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No major surgery to change a hub bearing,takes longer to jack up the wheel and take the wheel off then remove the hub bearing.

You will need a E12 or E14(can't off hand remember which one) to remove the 3 hub bearing bolts,and of course a 35mm socket for the hub nut.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!:-$ My wife is not supposed to know that. I'm trying to justify a lift here.