Couple of questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kd8mki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Morning all. Got a couple issues with my 02 Rene. First, when starting cold, I get some noise that sounds like rattling/chatter from the front end. Along with this, sometimes the oil light stays on longer than normal. Checked the oil level, and it's fine. Along with this, yesterday morning when leaving work, sounded like some power steering whine until she warmed up.

My first thought is replace the belt. Any other suggestions?

--Jim

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Rattling when cold AND an oil light indicates low oil pressure preventing the timing chain tensioner from getting pressure.

kd8mki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like something beyond my abilities...looks like a trip to the shop is in order.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
How many miles are on this engine? Get this into shop ASAP.
The oil pressure sending unit can be unscrewed and your shop should be able to install a real mechanical gauge, to correctly measure the pressure. A cylinder compression check should also be completed if it is a higher mileage motor.
The power steering hoses should be inspected for leaks and system should get flushed out occasionally, and the dealer can do this work,properly.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anything that makes noise coupled with an Oil light is something you want to look at right away. I'm not super knowledgable in this area but it sounds like your oil pump may not be giving adequate initial pressure- like what tbj said.

Take it to a professional... it may be one of those things where you can replace the oil pump and avoid $1000's in damage down the road.

And I always have to ask: Throwing any codes?

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
could also simply be the wrong oil wt in there
could be 10w40
this would cause he thicker oil to take a long time to get up into the lifters
and also take a long time to build up psi
that being said
look at the oil cap
change the oil and filter
run a TOP QUALITY filter and full syn oil
I like Wix filters and use either Mobile 1 or Royal Purple oil
I like these because even after 3-5K on the 4.0 in my TJ they are still
clean and none has been burned off and even the 10w30 that I run flows real good
at 20* but does not thin out at 100*

kd8mki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

@jnaut...not throwing any NEW codes. have an evap leak code that I've had for a bit. (yes, I cleared it and checked again)

@TC..it's got around 82000 on it. Bought it in November.

kd8mki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To update...oil light came on and stayed on right as I was pulling in to work tonight. Calling a tow in the morning to take it to the shop for diagnosis. :(

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let us know what they find.

j-thompson had a good call on the oil weight... you have the correct (5w30) in there?

kd8mki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yup...5w30 in there. Had it towed in when I got off work this morning at 7. Shop called at 8 saying the oil light was no longer on and asked me some questions. Told me I'd hear back late morning/afternoon. Just called a few min's ago and another service writer is going to go talk to the tech working on it and find out what's up because the ticket hasn't been updated since this morning when they called me.

autoboy454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...and another service writer is going to go talk to the tech working on it and find out what's up because the ticket hasn't been updated since this morning when they called me.

This means its still sitting outside of the shop in the parking lot and no one has gotten to it yet :rolleyes: At least where I work that is what that is roughly translated to mean...

kd8mki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, just talked to them. Oil light hasn't come on for them. They do hear the chatter noise and suspect like TBJ and others have said that the noise is coming from the timing chain. They are going to drop the oil pan and inspect the pick up tubes etc. and go from there. They won't be to that point till Monday afternoon. Luckily I have a ride to work tomorrow.

kd8mki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well crud. Upon inspection after dropping the oil pan, they're recommending a new engine due to the amount of sludge build up in the system. This is why I hate buying used cars w/o service records! Quote was $5300 installed before tax for a reman. engine from Chrysler. :mad:

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Holy son of a.... wow, sorry KD8MKI. Get a second opinion before dropping $5300 on anything.

You might be able to source out an engine yourself for cheaper.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
$3500 for a reman from Jasper last time ThunderbirdJunkie priced one out, and it will have a better warranty than the 12/12 from Chrysler

kd8mki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getting some better prices from a couple of the private shops...and seem to have better warranty's as well. Also had a couple of the other dealerships I called question my quote saying that it doesn't sound right since the block alone from chrysler is $5300, and I was quoted $5300 installed. Waiting on a call back from service advisor to ask him about it.

kd8mki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone on here work at a Jeep dealership? I don't understand how one place can tell me the price on the parts is $5300, and another tell me its $3500....

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe one is pricing a long block,
the other a short block
or labor rates are way different
or could be a number of things

kd8mki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Labor rates are about the same. I'm thinking they're quoting two different blocks like you said. The dealership I bought it from (not a buy here pay here, but not a factory place either) said they'd be willing to have their tech look at it and then he'd charge me their cost to repair/replace. He can't look at it till sometime beginning of next week and the cost savings vs. waiting arent really worth it. Think I'm going to have it towed to the shop that quoted me $3525 and go from there. At least now I'll know that the engine is solid and I can take care of it the way it's supposed to be taken care of! Makes me want to have the rest of the drive train checked out good to make sure I can eliminate any further surprises down the road.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.