command trac ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

XWrench3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so I had my Liberty in 4wd high last night for the first time. this is only the second 4wd vehicle i have owned. the first one was a 2000 GMC Jimmy, but once which was a electrical/vacuum operated system. so obviously, there was no "feel" to it. well, the jeep shifted into 4wd hi ok. but it felt like it was binding (driving in a straight line) in the sand/ gravel/ dirt road I was on. this morning i made certain that all 4 tires were an exact match, and they are. is this "normal"? what else could be causing this binding feeling? binding in a curve i know is normal. but i've not felt this going straight.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Command Trac = Basic 4x4 system, offers the following:
4-Hi = all 4 wheels move at the same speed,_***** only ideal for slippery conditions.****

4-Lo = all 4 wheels move at the same time, but offers more torque at lower rpm's (i forgot the ratio) great when ur stuck, or when 4-Hi just doesnt cut it

2-Hi = where it's suppose to be all the time, just both rear wheels are engaged

now Selec Trac has all of the above plus;

4-Full Time = another name for all wheel drive. you can have this engaged anytime, as it allows all 4 wheels to move at different speeds (unlike 4-Hi, where you will get binding, when you have engaged on dry/grippy surfaces)
this is ideal for the likes light rain, curvy roads...etc....

I love command trac but you can not drive on hard packed dirt, roads etc , they will bind up
The command trac is not built for city slickers as they like to put it in 4x4 and leave it in year around so they can go to Piggy Wiggly on a rainy day ;)
Now that will get the comments coming :)
But yes the reason for it binding was dirt roads, hard pack etc, unless the tires can slip some it will feel like it is binding
Posted the whole thing out so when someone asks , " well I have ,......."

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have Command-Trac on my 2002 Export 2.5 L CRD 5 speed manual.

I can definitely only use any 4X4 modes in very slippery conditions such as thick, loose sand or mud!:(

I have only taken it out of 2 wheel drive a few times on the sandy roads in the nearby Game Park when I was sliding all over the place!;)

I also have a Trac-Loc 4.10 rear diff as standard. At one stage I could feel the rear binding in tight turns on tarmac in 2 wheel drive so I drained and replaced the oil in the rear diff and added the Mopar Friction Additive required....no more problems for years now!:)

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes Bill nice, you're lucky you have 4:10's and a 5 spd- Track-Loc. The trac lok is clutch based and you definitely need the Mopar 4 0z bottle of friction modifier.
Command Trac is for slippery surfaces only.

For those with an auto stick:
I always shift an automatic transmission into neutral first, before reaching for that transfer case handle, ie Part time, then auto trans back into drive.;)
Returning to 2 WD= trans to neutral, transfer case handle down returning to 2WD.

I don't like the binding noticeable when turning, and take it easy. I quickly switch back into 2WD, when transitioning onto dry non slippery surfaces.

XWrench3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so basically, run it in 2wd until i get stuck. and as soon as i am rolling, put it back in 2wd.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Not " until " you get stuck, you can almost always tell due to ground conditions / road surfaces when you will need it and kick it in then
With really good tires you can go many places where you do not even need 4x4
I've ran miles and miles of snow covered / icy roads in 2 wheel drive only kicking it into 4 wheel when snow got really deep
even off roading there are many times you do not need it

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like to use mine at every opportunity, needed or not. Which is mostly dusty washboard roads where I live. My theory is that frequent use keeps the moving bits fresh and happy. It would be a bummer to need 4 wheel drive only to find out it doesn't work.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I like to use mine at every opportunity, needed or not. Which is mostly dusty washboard roads where I live. My theory is that frequent use keeps the moving bits fresh and happy. It would be a bummer to need 4 wheel drive only to find out it doesn't work.
True since most people do not need to even try out 4 wheel drive
They need to hit my place and drive the hills with cow paths all over then they could use it daily :)

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
None around here either :)
Closet one to me is at least 10-11 hours , just always had to laugh at the name
Me too.

Even with my winter roads and full time 4wd I usually put it in 2wd in parking lots since it sometimes felt a little bound up.

3° Last night.

Big Al

Let's get Cracken
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

I have new 2003 auto ****** with a "select trac" and was practicing what each mode did in a high school parking lot a few months ago.
Never owned a 4X4 before and had to go and practice before really needing it this winter.
I also checked the level in the transfer case and found it low, drained and filled to the correct level before trying the modes out.

2WD: think it lived there all its life. Women driven since a few months ago.

4WD Full Time HI: seemed like I could drive and turn no problem. Will be using this setting for the next few months as we get a lot of rain and black ice and a bit of snow.
Can switch to this mode when driving under 50 MPH

4WD Part Time: switched to this function while rolling about 2 MPH,this was deceiving as I thought I could use this part time for any situation, NOT.
This function is only when the road surface is wet splippery or muddy or snow packed or icy.
Will not turn normal on dry payment as all the wheels are turning at the same RPM and will cause the steering to fight as there is no slip. Thought I was going to breaking something when I did a small radius turn in the parking lot on a dry road.

4WD Low: switched to this function while rolling about 2 MPH, I call this "Tank Mode" as you can't go that fast in it, but I'm sure I could almost pull a semi out of the ditch in this mode.

N: this is used when you pull your Jeep behind your 50' motorhome.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Have never figured out why you would need 4 wheel drive when its raining
Guess it is from growing up years ago before everyone and their Mother thought they couldn't drive their SUVs without it :)

Ohio-white-kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
None around here either :)
Closet one to me is at least 10-11 hours , just always had to laugh at the name

There is one in Athens (actually The Plains) and one in Welston- might be the only ones in Ohio. Also one in Parkersburg.

If that takes you 10-12 hours you're in 4x4 lo and stuck in the Wayne :)

XWrench3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, i spent most of my life with 2wd vehicles, seldom getting stuck. the big thing in 2wd off roading is momentum. its not like you need a LOT of speed, usually 15mph will get you thru a lot. when it comes to water, a big stick, or a fist size stone can be a good test, on how deep the water is, and the stick can give you a feel for how soft the bottom is. of course, they work for 4wd also. as for Piggly Wigley, the only one i know of is in the Houghton Lake area. but I haven't traveled much in the last 10 years.

Big Al

Let's get Cracken
Reaction score
First Piggly Wiggly grocery store I went to was in Myrtle beach a few years ago.
I have to admit that it was the oldest grocery store that I ever been in.
I've been going to grocery stores since the sixties.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
There is one in Athens (actually The Plains) and one in Welston- might be the only ones in Ohio. Also one in Parkersburg.

If that takes you 10-12 hours you're in 4x4 lo and stuck in the Wayne :)
Really when did they come to those areas ?
Used to travel through Athens daily for work, had a girlfriend who lived in The Plains
Also lived in Wellston for a couple of years while running the local Community Action Agency, they just had Krogers at that time
And been stuck down in those areas, walked 3 miles out of Richland Forest one time to get a tow , LOL

are we totally of course now ? ;)

Ohio-white-kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really when did they come to those areas ?
Used to travel through Athens daily for work, had a girlfriend who lived in The Plains
Also lived in Wellston for a couple of years while running the local Community Action Agency, they just had Krogers at that time
And been stuck down in those areas, walked 3 miles out of Richland Forest one time to get a tow , LOL

are we totally of course now ? ;)

Seems like the one in the Plains has been there quite a while, but I rarely go thru The Plains. Haven't been thru Wellston in at least 5 years.

I was born in Athens, but never lived there.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Seems like the one in the Plains has been there quite a while, but I rarely go thru The Plains. Haven't been thru Wellston in at least 5 years.

I was born in Athens, but never lived there.
Cool, Athens is a great place, lots of great "hippys " there that have done the whole area good.
Some great food, produce, cheese etc comes out of that area now
Last time I was there for anytime was in 2015, took my wife and step son down in 2015 to show him where his Mother got her Masters at , but was only there 2-3 hours
Haven't been back to Wellston since I left that position in 2000

XWrench3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so, i have an update on this. i changed all the fluids, F&R Diff, transfer case and transmission. and i took this for a short trail ride today. it no longer feels like the 4WD system is binding anymore. even on dry pavement (at speeds between 10 &55 mph). i am certain that it will on pavement at low speed and doing tight turns. that is normal. so the oil must have been very old, or the wrong type.