Cold Weather = Noisy Timing Chain

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anybody else noticed that when the weather turns cold, the timing chains/adjusters get noisier?

During the summer months when I start my Jeep, the timing chains make no noise at all. During the winter, when the temperatures dip down, they start to get a little noisy at start-up. Once the oil thins out a bit and the engine warms it, it goes away.

new jeep owner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just went out and started mine, it's around 32-33 degrees and it ticked right after start up but went away in a few seconds.
is this what you mean?
I have an 06 as well

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
In cold sub-zero weather dino oil is not the best choice (thicker/flow rate at subzero temps) and extra load is placed on starter/battery.
Mobil 1 synthetic flows excellent even at -45 ! Easier starts and less loads.
I run Mobil 1 and never experienced timing chain noise, but low k on my motor.
Synthetics also have better cleaning properties and produce less carbon by-products.

Last edited:

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just went out and started mine, it's around 32-33 degrees and it ticked right after start up but went away in a few seconds.
is this what you mean?
I have an 06 as well

Yep, that's the sound.

I don't believe it's anything to worry about, it's just annoying more than anything.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anybody else noticed that when the weather turns cold, the timing chains/adjusters get noisier?

During the summer months when I start my Jeep, the timing chains make no noise at all. During the winter, when the temperatures dip down, they start to get a little noisy at start-up. Once the oil thins out a bit and the engine warms it, it goes away.
Normal if it goes away after warms up some.Just make sure you use the correct weight of oil(5w30),and no 5w20 will not help at start up.Your trans will limit shifting also when it gets colder out also,also very normal and helps make the trans last longer.Dino or synthetic it does not matter as your engine is rated for 5w30 and a good dino 5w30 meets the correct cold pour specs for your engine.

You should hear a solid lifter engine at cold start up at any outside temp,extremely loud till the metal get's hot enough and expands.

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Normal if it goes away after warms up some.Just make sure you use the correct weight of oil(5w30),and no 5w20 will not help at start up.Your trans will limit shifting also when it gets colder out also,also very normal and helps make the trans last longer.Dino or synthetic it does not matter as your engine is rated for 5w30 and a good dino 5w30 meets the correct cold pour specs for your engine.

You should hear a solid lifter engine at cold start up at any outside temp,extremely loud till the metal get's hot enough and expands.

I had a 2.8L V6 in an old Bronco II, and a 170 cu.in. straight six in my '66 Bronco. Both engines used solid lifters. YOU'RE RIGHT. Those babies like to chatter. Competely normal though.

Ahhhhh...the days of manual valve lash adjustments and carburetors. Them were the days. lol

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a 2.8L V6 in an old Bronco II, and a 170 cu.in. straight six in my '66 Bronco. Both engines used solid lifters. YOU'RE RIGHT. Those babies like to chatter. Competely normal though.

Ahhhhh...the days of manual valve lash adjustments and carburetors. Them were the days. lol
Tell me about it,I installed solid roller lifters in my 350 Rocket in my Cutlass.I drowned out the noise with "noisy" Pete Jackson gear drive and open un-equal length headers(no other exhaust past the collectors).

Moab

Reaction score
My 98' Dodge Van does this only at start up in cold weather but not consistantly. It's got the 318 engine and it's been run with syn oil from the start.....:shrug:

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
O my rocket quadrajet with a hydroslide in the f85 my first Olds before my 442 Hurst O those were the days