AC compressor is noisy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went to advance auto parts (they sell carquest) and they have that compressor but no parts for it. Since it's not an emergency situation (yet) I've decided to get a shorter belt in order to bypass the ac compressor and keep it and the necessary tools in the Liberty.
Post in thread 'Belt just snapped..'
https://www.jeepkj.com/threads/belt-just-snapped.79002/post-794253
there is your shorter belt.
Thanks for the link
What I can't decide is which way to route the bypass belt? I've found a couple of pictures, I hope this routing will work since it doesn't require removing the pulley
You must be registered for see images attach

The other way would need the pulley gone
You must be registered for see images attach

I wonder which way uses the 82 1/2" belt? I guess I'll use a cloth tape measure and check each route. I'm really hoping that the routing in the first image will work, since it doesn't require the pulley to be removed. Who knows, I might save enough $ to buy a proper replacement compressor and fix it right before it becomes a problem! I just need to be prepared since it's my wifes car, and I can't have it broke down.
Not that I have had to do this yet but - I would think that trying the 1st pic makes sense. There were several threads here and on lostjeeps that detailed problems with the pulley in the way. For those quick, get me outta the woods, repairs, several noted that they loosened up the compressor and shoved it backward, out of the path of the shorter belt.

Now this makes me want to try which configuration will work on my 04, as it needs a/c work anyway.

Latest posts

Members online